Logo

b86 Alpha Wierd overheating

gearhead

"I have an 86 Alpha one 260 V8

"I have an 86 Alpha one 260 V8. It runs ok for about 15 minutes them when the temp gets to 180 or so. There is no water coming out of the block through the the thermostat housing. The leaves the Exhaust manifolds empty and the coupling catch on fire. I've put a new thermostat, water pump and impeller. I check with the engine hot if the impeller worked, i dose. There is plenty of water coming into the engine.

If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it."

"Pull the circulating pump on

"Pull the circulating pump on the engine, remove the back plate and see if the shaft is broken."

Circulating pump is on the fro

Circulating pump is on the front driven by a belt. Water pump impeller is in the LU of the OD.

"So if
"There is plenty

"So if
"There is plenty of water coming into the engine." AND
"There is no water coming out of the block through the the thermostat housing.",
where is the water going??
Something does not add up.

Rod"

"Pull the feed hose off the th

"Pull the feed hose off the thermostat housing that comes from the foot(out drive) put the ears on it and turn on the water, Start the engine for a few secounds to see if the wwater pumping out of the foot. You may have not put the key in the impeller in the foot and the impeller is slipping on the shaft. You need to make sure water is pumping to the engine first, then start looking at why it is not circulationg. I bet it is not getting to the engine"

"Good one Jeff. "may have

"Good one Jeff. "may have not put the key in the impeller".

The water faucet hose will generate pressure to make it seem like the impeller is working. So, see how much time it takes to fill a bucket W/O the engine running and then WITH the engine running. If they are the same, better just drop the LU and find the impeller key."

Back