Logo

b84 MC 470 Engine Dies When I shift Into Ger

a1nowell

Contributing Member
"Friends,
My MC 470, JC Trito

"Friends,
My MC 470, JC Tritoon is giving me a little trouble and I need some sage imput as to what is the problem.

The engine starts and seems to run fine when in neutral. But when I go to put it in gear she dies. The engine will start right back up. The only way I can get into gear and run is to run the RPM up in neutral then slam it into gear then I can get to cruising and she runs fine. I know this is not good on the outdrive.

Any thoughts?

Larry"

"sound like your shift interup

"sound like your shift interupter is out of ajustment, or shift cable ajustment"

"Ayuh,.. You're lower shi

"Ayuh,.. You're lower shift cable is Dragging,+ needs Replacing..."

I have been going over everyth

I have been going over everything in the doghouse before tearing into the cable system and discovered a burned wire. It is the purple wire that goes to the automatic choke on the carb. Could this be the cause of the engine dyeing when I put it into gear? Isn't this a resistor wire?

If the wire runs from the coil

If the wire runs from the coil to the choke then it's the resistor wire. Otherwise it's 12 vdc for the elec. choke. Replace it.

"Robin, I had the same problem

"Robin, I had the same problem with the same engine. Shift interupter was out of adjustment. It might be wise to find out what caused that wire to fry though.It shouldn't be related to the stalling problem."

"a lower shift cable that has

"a lower shift cable that has too much resistance will cause the shift interupt to engage when it shouldn't.

The shift interupter should ONLY engage when the boat is IN the water and IN Gear (Forward or Reverse) and ONLY should cause the engine to "Stumble" when moving the lever TO NEUTRAL..

The shift interupt switch should NEVER engage or do anything when the boat is OUT of the water regardless of moving the shifter IN to or OUT of Gear.

If it does, it means the lower shift cable is binding, OR shift lever (from the gimbal housing to lower gear case) is Binding OR severe damage to Shift DOG (in the lower gear case).

The wire going to the coil will have no affect, but if its burned it should be replaced, and the cause of the excessive electricity draw needs to be checked, unless someone changed the wire before and used one that is too small. The choke coil may need to be replaced.

Your engine Idle RPMs needs to be checked, it may be too low, should be about 600-650 in Gear in the water, you may need to adjust the Idle Mixture on the front/side of the carb and or the idle adjustment ( the screw that touches the throttle lever near where the throttle cable attaches)."

Back