Logo

Automobile cross reference for the AQ131d amp overheating problem

maazic

First I wish to thank all who

First I wish to thank all who tried to help last year under the headline "anti-freeze in the bilge". It appears that the problem was the exit ports in the exhaust manifold. They were rusted or blocked with rust closed so there was little or no circulation of sea water cooling the intercooler; thus causing the overheating and forcing the antifreeze out thru the intercooler cap. I dug the openings open and now can run water thru them and it is now also running clear. I am now looking for gaskets for the head and intake manfold and valve lifter cover. I understand that they are much less expensive in automotive. Does anyone know the model and years }of the volvo autos that had the AQ131d equivalent engine? I understand that the engine in auto is the B23 block; or is it the B230?? Most parts stores want to know the make and model of the vehicle in order to find parts!

If anyone happens to know the

If anyone happens to know the auto parts number for the three gaskets above that would be even more helpful. Thanks

"I believe that the AQ131D has

"I believe that the AQ131D has a B230 block, which was installed in Volvo 240 during the years 85-93 and in Volvo 740 (8 valve) on years 85-92.

For parts numbers, etc, try this site:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/"

"El is right about the years o

"El is right about the years of the blocks, I only know this because I have an aq120B that I replaced with an auto block when mine locked up. I had to do this research through volvo. And I might say I learned alot about the years and makes of the volvo, what they were installed in,etc.
But here is a piece of advice....The auto gasket for the intake may not work. I bought one through a local parts house, for like 6 bucks, installed it, and when I filled the block with antifreeze, it came out around the intake.
Took a closer look, and found that the auto intake did not have water jackets, and the marine intake did.
Long story short....I bought a roll of water pump gasket material, and stamped out my own gaskets for each runner so that it matched the marine intake. The roll cost about 5 bucks, and I also used it for the water pump(circulating pump.) I still have some left over. And it works well.
Just wanted to let you know before you go to the trouble of locating numbers. It took me about a half hour to stamp out all the gaskets.
As far as head gasket and valve cover, they are the same."

"El - You suggested buying par

"El - You suggested buying parts from auto parts warehouse. I want to tell you that they have lied to me several times - have all three gaskets on back order and did not tell me - can not tell me when they will be available and now refuse to cancel the order. I will deal with the non-cancelation in good time. I have now ordered the parts from eEuroparts.com in Putnam, Conn. They are much less expensive, you speak with a live person who knows parts - he even when into the stacks to see if there was a brand name on the generic valve lifter cover gasket - and told me that they have not had any complaints about the generic ones. Also he told me how many of each of the gaskets that I needed were in stock; and there were pleanty. To Eric -} there are several gaskets for the intake manifold. Depending on the manufacturer, they are all sold as the same but the pictures of each of the three look different - more or less openings being being the difference. So I'll let all know when the OEM one arrives and I install it"

"Robert, let me clarify that w

"Robert, let me clarify that when I put a link in Autopartwarehouse, or Volvopentastore, or DougRussell, or MarineEngine, or eBasicpower, etc, it is only with the intention of indicating which part I am talking about. I am not on sales or commission from any site, but since a picture is worth a thousand words, I feel that adding a link or a picture to a post helps. I am sorry if you felt that including a link means I do endorse a particular site, for this is not the case. It is for you or for anyone else, after you know the part name and number from a link I have attached, to decide which company (if any) you want to buy from. I hope I don't have to add a disclaimer at the end of each post to make this clear to all."

"El Pescador, I was not point

"El Pescador, I was not pointing a finger at you nor was I being critical of you. My intention was to inform you and others of my negative experiance with Auto Parts Warehouse. I very much appreciate your help, as I am sure all of us do. And then to inform, perhaps you, and others of a site that appears to handle auto parts for just three or four European manufactured vehicles, including Volvo. And by the way their service seems to be excellent and they also seem to have the lowest prices including for OME gaskets and I am sure other parts as well, and are also well stocked.

No disclaimers needed - and please keep up the helpful and good work."

"Thank you for the clarificati

"Thank you for the clarification, Robert. I know first hand what bad customer service is like, I am dealing as we speak with my boat trailer manufacturer refusing to admit his error in a clear case of bad quality control, which has degenerated into a case of disgusting customer service
thumbs_down.gif
angry.gif
. But that's another story."

Back