Logo

At witbs end

draven620

Regular Contributor
Well i give up i took my 1985

Well i give up i took my 1985 mercruiser 140 hp boat in to the mech and it was running good it just needed a reseal and water pump repair well.I had new points cap rotor plugs wires condenser put in before it went to the mech and the engine purred like a kitten.Well i went to check on the boat since it has been at the shop for 3 weeks he is the only mech in small town.Well he said it was popping and sputtering and that the tune up was done wrong and i am trying to figure out why it would run fine before he did the seals and pump he is a highly recomended mech so i dont understand any ideas of why it would do this.Oh yeah i also had him install a fuel water seperater.

It is because none of you guys

It is because none of you guys live near ME!!

Next time tell him straight up what you want and dont want. Tell him to put everything on the motor side back the way it was. Dont accept his over charge and his reasons if you know better.
WHere are the old parts? make him show you the ""wrong stuff" and explain WHY!!

3 weeks for a reseal and water pump is a bit much!! Maybe 3 days would be more like it.

Sounds like he is busy and got someone elses bad running boat mixed up with yours.

Michael if you have the boat a

Michael if you have the boat at home now or in the water check over your wiring order and see if its right. also the poping sounds like a timing problem you may also want to check that. easy enough for someone to loosen a dist and raise and move a tooth or two. did he charge you for anything other than reseal and water pump?

no swollen head here

"sounds to me you need to find

"sounds to me you need to find a new mechanic, does sound like the dist. got turned a bit.if you put new plugs in and it ran fine you did good. don't think I would trust anymore work to this guy.
just my 2 cents."

Michael just what is he tellin

Michael just what is he telling you the hold up is? if he has the reseal/water pump done go pick up your boat. pay him for just those two items and im sure with this forum we can get you back in the water. DONT!!! let him take you for a ride.
I gave up a long frienship in the 80s over my buddy rakeing the not so knowlageable over the coals mainly women. if you suspect foul play dont hesitate to stand your ground

im gonna give him till the mid

im gonna give him till the middle of next week but yeah i will be going elsewhere from now on he is a retired gentlemanthat does good work but has the reputation of being slow a little to slow for my taste i live in a little town on the missisippi river in wi the closest big town is a hour away.

well he put new seals in upper

well he put new seals in upper and lower checked my exahust flapper replaced the water pump it was burned pretty bad he showed me and he instaalled my fuel water seperater for me.He said that the condenser wire was pinched in dist cap and shorted it and points out so he replaced and timed engine and greased fittings and it only cost 384 for it all so i guess he may be slow but he is resonably priced wanted to take it out this weekend but it has rained all weekend long oh well next weekend.

"michael sounds like a resonab

"michael sounds like a resonable price! if you get a chance change over to pertronics ignition and do away with points all together. as far as your mech only you have to be happy with him and it sounds like you are so thats what counts. ok buddy happy boating
thumbs_up.gif
"

well my boat is fixed took it

well my boat is fixed took it out ran like a champ thanks for every ones help.Temp didn't go above 145

Back