Logo

at what rpm should i reach plane

amantinori

Contributing Member
I haven't really pushed my motors yet this year after rebuilding the starboard motor. 3000 is as high as i have pushed it but not for long. that only gets me about 12 - 13 knots. I have a 79 silverton 33'. seems slow to me but i don't want to break her. also not to sure how to use the trim tabs either. I know allot about the motors now, just need to learn how to really sail the thing good. can any one offer me some suggestions or pointers?

First test is to find out how high the engines rev at wide open throttle in gear. Only need to be up there for a few seconds. Then run the boat at 75 to 80% of that value. This is your maximum continuous (cruise) rpms.
If the engine gets up to the manufacturer's specified MAX RPM range, then whatever speed you get is what you'll get for both top and at cruise.

1971 31ft Sea Raider..twin 318's, will pop up at about 2200..level off around 2500, with about 5 degrees of tab ( tabs are 36 inch by 12 inch) cruise around 27-2800 rpm, gives me around 25-27 mph (depending on wind & waves). A good way to start with the tabs is have them all the way down when you hit the throttles ,then slowly bring them up as the boat planes off, as you get used to the boat you'll find the sweet spot, its a balance between running angle & best speed.

Back