Logo

At my wits end

muddflea

First off this will be long winded. I have plenty years experience rehabbing piece of crap motors, out drives, trim/tilts, gauges, etc etc.
This is the first time I've run into an issue where I need to get outside help, and it's killing me to do so.
1970 Mercruiser Stern Drive transom mount shift/control.
No matter what I do, and I've adjusted, measured, taken apart and put back together at least 60 times I cannot for the life of me get the interrupt switch to work properly. I get it to work from forward to neutral but neutral to reverse stalls the engine, and the cut off switch roller sits on the lobe. I have the original service manuals and have read and done what it says to do countless times to no avail. I can get it to work one way, but not the other.
Pictures and videos upon request. If anyone wants to dive in and help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated.

The interupter is suposed to interupt when shifting from gear, fwd or rev, back to neutral.

if it is engaging when shifting it is due to bad cable, bad adjustment, or excess friction either with cable or linkage at gimbal housing or possibly shift arm at outdrive.

Other possibility is control cable and or short shift cable are out of spec (too much slop) causing incorrect short cable adjustment trying to get gear engagement

I had the exact same problem and fixed it totally by getting a new shift interupter circut button and most importantly, the cam that rides over the button pushing it in and then releasing it. Those parts get worn and sloppy so that some times they work and sometimes not. that little spring on the cam gets weak also and then it doesn't pop back to the center spot in a split second which causes the engine to stall. Just replace those parts which is pretty easy and you will have a brand new running boat.

I had the exact same problem and fixed it totally by getting a new shift interupter circut button and most importantly, the cam that rides over the button pushing it in and then releasing it. Those parts get worn and sloppy so that some times they work and sometimes not. that little spring on the cam gets weak also and then it doesn't pop back to the center spot in a split second which causes the engine to stall. Just replace those parts which is pretty easy and you will have a brand new running boat.
He is dealing with a very old system. Your fix does not apply and futher more, its not that the switch isnt working it is the movement of the cable and arm to actuate the switch is not working as it should.

NOTE: """1970 Mercruiser Stern Drive transom mount shift/control."""

What you are referring to is 1990's to present...............

Back