Logo

Are duel fuel check valves necessary?

fishnfowlr

First off, I have a 1994 Mercury 225/3/0L. Recently I've experienced low fuel pressure to the point of having to pump the hand bulb to get the motor running up to full speed. I rebuilt the fuel pump (but all the diaphrams, ect. looked good from what I replaced). I replaced all the fuel lines from the tank to the carb. I pulled all three carbs and cleaned all jets and inspected the float, needle and seat for proper operation. I replaced the fuel/water separator. Today, while Isaac rained on my parade, I decided to dig a little further. Thinking the hand pump check valve may have been faulty in the new pump, I replaced it again and went to a larger, 3/8 fuel line. Still, I couldn't get good fuel flow. I pulled the stem from the bottom of the valve from the fuel tank. The filter in the bottom of the stem is clean. I unscrewed the valve off the top and it has a spring loaded check valve where the main fuel line hooks to the tank. Is this check valve necessary? I took carb cleaner and did my best to clean it. It still takes a certain amount of pressure to pull fuel from the tank. I'm thinking that this extra pressure is what's keeping my motor from running properly. I have a check valve in the hand pump. Do I have to also have another check valve coming from the top of the tank? One thing I have not checked but have heard about is the reed vavle. Not sure where it's located but I do have the specs on the opening of each reed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Brad

You did leave the cap off the fuel tank. if the vent is restricted you will get the same condition if the tank goes into a negative pressure or a vacuum.

the vent does not appear to be restricted. When I fuel the tank, I can feel a good flow of air coming out the side vent and fuel will spill out if i continue to overfill. Still, my main question is not answered. Is there a major reason why there is a spring loaded check valve/ball coming directly from the tank? It probably takes a couple pounds of pressure to activate/push the spring/ball and allow fuel to flow out of the tank. I think I'll bypass that and use a non-check valve assembly that does not require pressure to allow fuel to flow from the tank. The fuel is fairly new and I keep stabilizer in the fuel. I only use premium and have gone through several tanks this summer. Thanks for the acetone suggestion. I'll keep that as plan b.

Back