Logo

AQ231C outdrive shifting cables

threequez

"Shifters on my penta 230hp AQ

"Shifters on my penta 230hp AQ231C outdrives are very hard (one even did not shift into reverse while backing into the slip) can anyone offer any advise on how to replace these cables, does the boat need to come out of the water, is one cable better than another etc...any help would be greatly appreciated."

"I am not finding the AQ 231C.

"I am not finding the AQ 231C. But I do see the A and B.
If not the actual cable itself, you may have an issue with the coupling rod and the lock brace. When corroded and/or sticking, it will make for a difficult shift into REV.

Search your engine/drive model, and these parts can be seen."

"If it is old, chances are the

"If it is old, chances are the cable has become stiff inside the sleeve, in which case it is better to replace it. To replace the cables you have to put the boat on a trailer, then remove the cube (49) and try to shift with the control: if still hard, then you know the cable or the control are the problem. Remove it from the control and try to move the cable by hand: if still stiff, then you need a new cable. Remove screw (29) to remove tab (28) on the outdrive, then you can pull the cable towards the inside of the boat.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/INTERMEDIATE_HOUSING_290A/dm/cart_id.753280878--s ession_id.938905630--store_id.366--view_id.313771

Get a new cable from a marine supply store (bring the old one as a sample), reinstall it and off you go."

"To make installation of the n

"To make installation of the new cable easier, tie a strong cord to the end of the old cable before pulling the old one out. Then use this cord to pull the new one in place.

Check the area near the helm as sometimes the cables are clamped to a handy bulkhead."

Back