Logo

AQ225E starter

Damjan Slapar

Hi again....,

...and need some help again. Trying to replace a starter on the AQ225E, given my mechanic something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-FITS-VOLVO-Penta-AQ200-AQ205-AQ211-AQ225-AQ231-V8-/290499915815

It says it is compatible with AQ225, and if you scroll down, you see all AQ225 versions (A, B, C, D, F) listed as compatible version - except AQ225E!

The reason I am confused is my mechanic says it doesn't fit (something about the housing!) I haven't tried it myself - but I really find it extremly unlikely out of all versions of AQ225 engines only E sub-version would fit different starter.

Can anybody confirm it should fit regardless of me having E sub-version? Maybe even just from the pictures?

Thanks in advance for your effort.

Unless your flywheel has been replaced with a 168 tooth and with the charcoal gray flywheel cover....... your 225E engine's flywheel uses the 153 tooth ring gear.
The 153 tooth must use the starter motor with the straight across bolt pattern (as per the one shown) of which is a HTGR/PMGR motor, and a good choice!
(the 168 tooth requires the staggered bolt pattern motor)

Not all nose housings are the same today, so make darn sure that the proper knurled and proper length bolts are used.

Last edited:
Rick,

in fact I was kind of hoping for your answer, sir, and thanks for a quick reply!

While it may be a language barrier, I am still baffled: should the starter from the above link fit AQ225E or it is intended for all other version of AQ225 - just not 225E?

I do understand the bolt lengths may be the issue - but this should be easily adjusted....

This vintage Volvo Penta AQ series with the OEM red GM V-8 flywheel cover will only accept the 153 tooth flywheel.
The ring gear tooth count determines the starter motor bolt pattern.

I did not count the flywheel tooth number - but since it has not been replaced, I believe it is an original - and therefore 153 tooth.

The starter has 11 splines - but I do not think this matter much if it fits the flywheel tooth size.

Nevertheless, I am still confused! Here is another version of starter on e-bay,
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Anlasser-Vol...prg=20140423084956&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=120887161233

and scrolling down would again list all AQ225 versions except of E! Is it really different? I do not seem to find any starter specifically for AQ225E?

You'll find only two flywheels used. The 153 tooth and the 168 tooth.

The 153 requires the straight across bolt pattern motor.
starter-motor.jpg

The 168 requires the staggered bolt pattern motor.
Starter-Motors-marine-191162_image.jpg

The two will not interchange.

If your AQ225 is fitted with the OEM RED flywheel cover... I can assure you that your ring gear is the 153 tooth, because the 168 tooth flywheel will not fit within this cover.

If by chance someone has replaced the F/C with the charcoal gray unit..... either ring gear will work with the correct starter motor.

Last edited:
I guess that another way of looking at this would be:
No matter which starter motor you now have.... I.E., old Prestolite, Arco, etc "Bendix" style, Delco non-reduction style, or modern-day HTGR/PMGR style.........., look at the bolt pattern.
If the bolt pattern is straight across, then your ring gear tooth count is 153.

Could not agree more with Rick. My old boat had the 225E and I replaced the starter too. Same issue. Mine had the stock 153. My problem was that I pulled the old one and did not look at it. Gave it to the parts store as a core. Brought the new one home and it did not work. Was a fiasco. Take Rick's advice and look at the bolt pattern. It means everything in this case.

For sure, go with the perma mag starter, which ever one you need. Use the bolts that most have with it or make sure the bolts are the right length. I've seen many that have used the OEM bolts and did not get the starter tight and snapped off the starter nose because the bolts bottomed out before getting the starter tight.

HI,

bolt pattern is fine - the new starter was already fitted to my AQ225.

What mechanic told me is that the head diameter did not fit so he couldn't align it correctly (which is odd to me since the bolts should do the trick, right). He even added a bigger diameter ring (see attached screenshots) in order to fix that, but he did not want to start the engine since he was afraid he would damage flywheel.

I haven't checked it myself, I'll this weekend. All in all - strange messages from my mechanic.

2014_07_23_12_02_10.jpg

Correct! The knurled section of the bolts act as "alignment dowels"!

Shimming, if required, would be done with access to the rear of the flywheel as to actually allow for measuring the pinion gear-to-ring gear contact.
We shim for additional clearance if the two are too close.

Back