Logo

AQ225D280

signusx1

Contributing Member
My 1979 5.0L VP has been runni

My 1979 5.0L VP has been running great. However when I walk on the throttle (stomp) she seems to bog until I pull throttle back to 70%.
Could this be my vacuum advance? Last year I installed electronic ignition and didn't have this problem. This year my boat doctor installed a vacuum line to the distributor (it was previously capped off) and I can't get all of the throttle.

"Brad, I suspect that what you

"Brad, I suspect that what your boat doctor may have installed is a vacuum line attached to your distributor to keep it dry inside. Somehow, I don't think your distributor comes with vacuum advance unless it is not a marine distributor."

It isn't a marine distribu

It isn't a marine distributor. I will plug/cap off and test tonight and see what happens.

What is the difference between a marine and non-marine distributor?

"For starters, the mechanical

"For starters, the mechanical advance curve is different. The original AQ225D distributor should be set with an 8ºBTDC spark advance at idle, and it should have a 30º advance at around 3700 RPM (4200 RPM according to Seloc). You can try and see if you get those values. But regardless of the results, I would strongly recommend that you try to find and install a proper marine distributor, as yours probably does not meet the SAE-J1171 standard. They are pretty common and you should be able to get a used one between $50-$100. Even if it comes with points, you can transplant the Pertronix kit you installed on your current distributor."

"And a vacuum advance on a mar

"And a vacuum advance on a marine distributor is useless which is why they don't have them ( since they do not have a high RPM, high manifold vacuum operating point)."

Back