Logo

AQ151B/290 Oil Pan OEM to automotive repl ?

dearborndeuce

Hi Ya'll !

My O?Haul on my AQ151B is going well ( almost done & ready to install back in my boat ).
Due to my rusty oil pan, I picked up a perfect automotive one.
Everything looks identical except for the baffling ( inside rear of pan ).
My rusty original has a larger open rear area in the port/rear corner than the automotive one.
Is this a big deal or should i cut out the baffling to make it look the same ?
I'm trying to understand the logic as to why the marine OEM pan is slightly different ?

cheers Bob

Docksidemarineservice;

Respectfully, Mine are both the same weight ( heavy ) they are identical except for the baffling. Around here all the marine ones are rusty and a new one ( don't think they are available anymore ) would cost me bigtime !!
Very much appreciate your advice all the same

The best oil pans are the Crusader ones that are cast alloy. You can certainly use the automotive pan as long as your dip stick fits. Baffles should not be an issue assuming the oil pick up clears. A couple coats of paint will keep the pan in good condition.

paint the whole outside of the pan with some type of galvanizing spray paint before you paint it with a regular rustoleum or whatever type of paint you intend to use.let it dry for an hour or so then paint it.it will make a hell of a difference in how long your pan last,automotive is fine,it just needs a little protection on it.
2011_06220005.jpg

Last edited:
Back