Logo

Aq145a

gryg1

Regular Contributor
"I think I have some problems

"I think I have some problems coming,I will discribe and would like input please.
1.Over the last 2 time out I have noticed loss on cioolant in the heat exchanger and today put in about i litre of water.cannot see any visable external leeks and I have replaced the head hasket about 50 hrs ago.The motor run ecel and has no problems idling.What I suspect is that the water loss is due to maybe the heat exchanger core is loosing water into the sea water and then going out with the exhaust.any thought would be appreciated.
2.Dont know if this is related to no 1 but the last couple of times that I have started the motor to give it a run there has been a brownish colour in the water that comes out of the exhaust and then runs clear.could the both have a relation to the other.I thinking that if the internal part of the heat exchanger is leeking in the sea water and going out the exhaust its probally picking up some dirt/scale from thr internal part of the motor and coming out the exhaust.any body got any assistant with the above will be appreciated
Stan"

"sounds like you are on the ri

"sounds like you are on the right track, Stan. A pressure test of your cooling system with the water hoses removed from the cooler will verify. You'll see the antifreeze coming out if it's core is leaking."

"Stan, this happened to me on

"Stan, this happened to me on an AQ145a.

I dont if this helps but in my case the salt water was mixing with the antifreeze system. I found that on the botton of the brass finned heat exchange in the header tank, the bolt on the botton was leaking and letting the two waters mix.

I repaired it by removing the brass finned heat exchanger and soldered a piece of copper, I used an old piece of copper pipe, flattened and shaped, over the hole in the bottom where the bolt mates into. That was a couple of years ago now and the fix is still OK.

Hope this helps

Nick"

I'm dealing with that fix

I'm dealing with that fix right now on my aq140a. Pretty sure mine is due to a bad head gasket. But make sure you pull your heat exchanger element out and clean it. You'll be suprised how much crap you'll find stuck to it as well as the inner walls of the exchanger housing.

Back