Logo

AQ140a-Floscan question

Tideways

I have a new to me 1980 Aq140 in a Double Eagle 17.5 ' hardtop boat. I am thinking of installing a floscan meter but am unclear as to the quantity of fuel that could be used per hour at max smoke? It makes a difference as to the scale of the meter that is ordered. The block was bored out 40,000 of an inch so the horsepower may be slight greater than the stock engine. Also any recommendations as to a fuel water separator in terms of gal/ hr or l/hour? Many tnx. Nick

Fuel consumption per hour (i.e., GPH) is rather useless unless distance traveled us also known.
Ultimately you'd want a fuel flow meter that datalinks with a GPS, so that miles per gallon can be seen.

You have eluded to "maximum smoke"........ as is max speed????

If you can get this little 175 on top on the water, and then some, you'll be at dang near your best feul economy (other than hull speed).

Personally, I think that you would do better if your money was spent on something else!
We do not typically see fuel flow meters installed on smaller boats like this.

If you do go forward with this, the Floscan people can recommend a unit for you.

Last edited:
When I bought my Floscan 9000 gas model many years ago, the hp/gph was needed to select the correct sender. Today I believe their new sender covers up to 350 hp and unlike the older sender, the new one works with E10.

I bought the unit to use on my 16' 50HP cuddy. It was used as a tach, Hobbs meter and fuel gauge as well as giving me mpg. It paid for itself in one season.

I've used a floscan meter for over 20 years and I love it. While Rick is correct that having a model that links to a GPS is very useful in finding your most efficient speed/ MPG, I haven't had that feature. I've found it useful for another reason:

When I take buddies out fishing and we split the fuel bill, I know exactly how much fuel we've used. The only other way to do it would be to refill after every trip to find out how much I've burned but then I'm hauling around a bunch of extra weight since I hold 200 gallons.

One of my senders recently went got damaged so I bought a new setup. The other sender is fine and so is the gauge so if you're interested and want to save some money I'd sell you my old one. It's not as pretty as a new one though.

I run AQ151s, slightly bigger than your AQ 140, and burn about 8 GPH per engine so you can base your selection on that.

Back