Logo

AQ131A Stern Drive 275 lowering issue...

maine1963

Worked my way through all of the other problems, thanks to E.P.

Went to lake today and stern drive would NOT LOWER. Motor would not lower the unit. So I lowered it by hand, just by pushing it down. I raised the drive with motor to about half way and then tried the switch to lower it and again it would NOT lower the unit.

Not a big deal, except the piston rod, I assume, when it hits pawl to lower the unit kicks the lock into place. When I went into reverse - it would kick the outdrive up because it was not locked into place.

Is there a trouble shooting process? All was working well yesterday.

Thanks, Greg

I did look at that thread EP. I was hoping for a simplified return, but after going back to that thread a third time - I do see where there is no simplified answer. There is a specific route that the current is taking and if I am not getting power with the tilt switch pushed in the down position, there must be an open circuit in that part of the system?

Also my tilt light NEVER went out, even when the cut out switch was activated in the FULL down position. Now it doesn't light up at all. BUT the up position of the switch works fine.

I am going to print your diagram out and do some tracing and electrical current checking. Just going to be a process from what I see of the diagram - although yhou have made it simplified with your verbage of the diagram.

Thank You once again,

Greg in Maine

It was a quick fix! The black box that houses the swith and relays was pinching the switch, that was why I had NO indicator light and the lowering side of the trim switch did not work. Thanks to your diagram, it was a sinch to trouble shoot!

You are welcome, and I'm glad you found and fixed the problem. As you can see now, the electric tilt electrical system is quite simple, but it can be a bit intimid@ting without a drawing and an explanation at hand.

The 3 small screws hold the black box together not the the two allens. They are there just to hold the complete box on top of the aluminum housing and SHOULD NOT be tightened down all the way. The black box should rotate freely and just tight enough to keep it in place. That micro switch will crack at even the slightest pressure and then you're out of luck.

The 3 small screws hold the black box together not the the two allens. They are there just to hold the complete box on top of the aluminum housing and SHOULD NOT be tightened down all the way. The black box should rotate freely and just tight enough to keep it in place. That micro switch will crack at even the slightest pressure and then you're out of luck.

Thanks Gary, I have aftermarket relays (from Napa) that are slightly larger than the VP ones that I replaced. I can not tighten the allen head screws down at all - is this going to be an issue - to date it has not.

Thanks, Greg

Back