Logo

AQ131A starts fine then dies both at idle and with increased throttle

rfinkel

This forum was great and gave me confidence and great guidence when my engine block blew 4 years ago and I tackled an engine replacement. No problems till now. Last tune up was with replacemt engine installation with rebuilt carb, plugs, pertronix electronic ignition.
worked great till mid season this year with only sporadic usage over past month. now the motor will always start easily but then dies after a few seconds at idle or if i increase throttle in neutral. filled the gas tank with 5 gallons, 1/3 tank fresh gas and changed fuel/water separater/filter. No help. Does this sound like an obvious problem to anyone?
Do i neeed a new carb rebuild?
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

I'm not an expert but I just went through the same problem with the same engine and in my case it turned out to be lack of fuel due to a fouled carburetor. However, I think that the classic approach is to first check fuel delivery at all points and make sure your fuel vent line is clear. You could perhaps pull the top plate on the carb while it's in place and see what the float is doing and whether the chamber is full.

You can also check your fuel pump by removing the connection at the carb and turn the engine over. Of course, you need to be very careful and pump the fuel into a suitable container etc etc.

Also, you can pull the check valve and clean the small screen. Anyhow, those are a few thoughts...good luck.

Back