Logo

Aq131a running sluggish

avent

"When I put the throttle down

"When I put the throttle down all the way the rpm's stay very low and don't climb. The boat just does not want to get out of the hole. On two seperate occasions the boat shot out of the hole only to revert back to the same sluggish RPM's, this happened after I stopped and started again. Does anybody have an idea what I should check on the motor? The prop is OE and has nothing tangled in it."

"You first have to determine i

"You first have to determine if the problem is fuel related (accelerator pump stuck, clogged filter, water in the fuel, bad gas, loose linkage, etc) or electrical (defective rotor/cap, bad points, etc). I would start checking the accelerator pump, just remove the flame arrestor, then move the throttle lever back and forth and check that there is fuel being squirted into the carb. If there is no fuel, then the accelerator pump is stuck. If fuel is being squirted, then you may want to open the carb, drain the bowl (check for water) and remove any sediment from bowl and jets. Then, try again."

That sounds like s great start

That sounds like s great starting point thank you for your input. I 'll check it out tommorrow.

"I had the same problem with a

"I had the same problem with an AQ131C. I would hammer the trottle only to turn 2200 RPM. The timing was way off. The last owner had the plug wires one space off on the rotor cap. I spun the cap as far as I could the opposite direction and it picked up pace. I still have to fine tune it, but at least I was able to run over the 4th holiday."

"Brian,
Try taking a look at

"Brian,
Try taking a look at the pickup tube in you fuel tank. I had the same problem yesterday and removed the pickup from my tank and found that the previous owner had just stuck a piece of 3/16 tube into the fitting that was barley attached. I fell apart in my hands so I was sucking air in at the top of the fitting not to mention that the size of the tube was way too small. Stopped by the local marine store and purchased the correct pickup tube for the tank and the boat never ran so good.
Good Luck.
John"

Back