Logo

Aq131a idle problems

jwest

"here I am again, installed an

"here I am again, installed an electronic ignition in a aq131 and went to start and it wouldnt. Realized I wasnt getting fuel (sparks good), accelerater pump was just dripping and half the gasket was gone between the base and the upper unit. So I rebuilt the carb new gaskets, accelerater pump and mixing screw.

I can get it started runs for a little bit and dies. I havent been able to time it cause I cant get it running long enough allthough at I did get a strobe on it for a minute and it looked about 10 degrees off and bouncing around quite a bit.

I have the carb set to 2 turns out on the mix and 2 out on the idle.

I'm having to stay on the throttle to keep it goin, getting some poping out of carb and my exhaust manifolds getting really hot when I seen the boot on the exhaust manifold start to smoke I figured I better ask for help.

Sorry about the long post, not sure what to do. Its my first boat and it ran before I started screwing with it just kept dying till it was warm and started sputtering the last time I took it out. Please point me in the right direction here. I'd like to get it out on the water"

I should add that I have the o

I should add that I have the outdrive in a tub of water and the compressions good

Sounds like your impeller is b

Sounds like your impeller is burnt up or no good and thats what caused the exhaust and boot to heat up. Hopefully the rubber boot didn't melt those are expensive....

I have a 125a engine and the carb is finicky if not adjusted right. I to rebuilt mine easy task too. I actually had gas shoot out the carb like a guyser.

I think your screws might be too far out.

Idling screw (on that touches the throttle plate) is 2 scews in once it touches

the idle mixture depends if you have the later or earlier model of the carb. Earlier its 2 out later its 9.5 turns out from seated position. Hope that helps

"I am getting water out the ex

"I am getting water out the exhaust when its running, not sure if its just not running long enough to cool stuff down or if my timeing being off is causeing the exhaust gas to be hotter than it should. I dont think its clogged, it was recently replaced by previous owner

I'm pretty sure I have the older style carb. Mixing screw comes in at a angle (at least i thought I read that on here).

thanks for responding"

"Joe, if the idle mixture is t

"Joe, if the idle mixture is too lean, the engine will stall. The default setting for the idle mixture is only an approximation. You have to find the happy term between lean and rich for a smooth idle. Also, if by any chance the idle jet is clogged, you won't be able to properly adjust the idle mixture.

You coud also get a lean mixture if there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake manifold.

After you have set the idle mixture, you have to set the idle speed. Then, verify the ignition timing and set the idle speed again if necessary."

"thanks, I'll check the id

"thanks, I'll check the idle jet and make sure there are no leaks.

does anyone know what the float level should be? I cant find that info anywhere."

You said the timing is off abo

You said the timing is off about 10*.
Retarded timing will create MAJOR exhaust temps.
Try advancing the timing and see what happens.

"Thanks for the link Jason, I

"Thanks for the link Jason, I do have the manual allready though.

I was wandering about the exhaust temps and the timing, it makes sense why they would be higher. Next time I go to start it I will advance before I try.

I went through the carb today as EL said to check the idle jet and double checked everything. Everything was good except I did find that the mixture screw that came with my rebuild kit was slightly different (allthough not much) then the one that was previously in there. So I put the old one back in. I'm sure that didnt help things.

I wasnt able to try again today as the engine was flooded from yesterday (puddle in the manifold and wet plugs) and it started to rain so I think I'll try again tomorrow.

thanks for everybodys feedback, its all been usefull"

"Joe, i was having the same pr

"Joe, i was having the same problem you are having, flooding, fouling plugs, popping thru the carb, puddling in the intake... Thru extensive searching for the problem, found the pick-up (little black piece that goes on the distributer shaft) had play... Didn't seem to be alot of play, but with a little electrical tape around the shaft prior to installing the pick-up, (PROBLEM SOLVED)!!!! ALSO had to install new plugs, cause the eratic firing caused the plugs to foul... Hope this helps..."

"I finally gave up and took it

"I finally gave up and took it to a mechanic, he got it running, and found that the seals in the out drive were shot, so replace those and took the boat home.

Next day put the boat on the muffs to make sure it would start before I got to the lake and no-go. Finally get it to go (very hard) and check the timing. 30 degrees at 1000 rpm so I put it to the 6 degrees my manual says and all was well. Now I cant get it started again.

I dont know whats goin on. I seen the mechanic start it a number of times no problem but the timing was way off (not really trusting this mechanic to much, said he didnt have a timing light). Now that its cold I get nothing.

Any Ideas?

Is there a way to check the timing belt without having to pull the heat exchanger off?

Also I notice that even at 6 degrees of timing that the rotor seems to be just past the plug wire. Does that seem normal?

Thanks for the help, new to this and starting to go a little crazy."

"Distributor 230, 250, AQ131,

"Distributor 230, 250, AQ131, AQ151
Type ................................................................................ ..................... Breaker point system
Type Bosch JF4 ................................................................................ .. 0231 178 019
Setting for regular gasoline, min 91 octane ROT:
USA: Ignition setting for regular petrol (RON+MON)/2 = min 87 octane
Basic setting ................................................................................ ........ 6° BTDC (0–14.17 r/s = 0–850 rpm)
Stroboscope setting ............................................................................ 32–36° BTDC (70 r/s = 4200 rpm)
Contact gap ................................................................................ ......... 0.40 mm (0.01575")
Dwell angle ................................................................................ .......... 62±3°"

Back