Logo

AQ130asource for 040 pistons

lodochnik

"I can see that there have bee

"I can see that there have been earlier postings on a very similar topic, so I apologize if this duplicates something earlier, but perhaps pistons have become available lately. I have a pair of AQ130a's which were upgraded to AQ130c's with additional carburetors. The engines do have 6-bolt flywheels and 22mm wrist pins. The first engine requires a .040 rebore in one cylinder. I have searched enough to find that .040 pistons are expensive, but worse, they're back ordered long-term (at least at IDP). Does anyone know a source for these pistons? Am I looking at replacing con rods for the 24mm wrist pins, and because of that, possibly crankshaft? At that point, I'm probably going to look for a good automotive engine. Thanks for any help."

"B21 pistons will work but the

"B21 pistons will work but they are all 24mm wrist pins. Not in issue if you'll be using the larger connecting rods. Since the B21 is newer, you might have better luck finding oversized pistons for those.

FCP in Groton, CT may be able to get some for you but you'll need to call. They're at FCPgroton.com"

"Thanks very much, that is ver

"Thanks very much, that is very good to know. I'll try FCP tomorrow. Groton, CT is just a ferry trip away from me. Do you happen to know if the center distance from the wrist pin bushing to the top of the piston is the same between the early and late pistons, and if one could rebush the piston and then re-bore to use the 22mm wrist pin? I read a posting today on either this site or a Volvo site implying that the 24mm con rods aren't compatible with the 6-bolt crank shaft, but haven't yet confirmed that."

"Afraid I don't know much

"Afraid I don't know much more about the details, only what I've heard from people swapping parts. If you do a google search for "volvo B20 pistons" you'll find quite a few links and references. These are pretty robust engines, just getting a little long in the tooth!

It's funny you mentioned that Groton is only a ferry ride away from you. I live on the west coast but will be in Groton for a business meeting tomorrow - small world!"

"Thanks, Dennis, I appreciate

"Thanks, Dennis, I appreciate the suggestion. I've been staying with automotive parts where possible as V-P parts are more expensive.

Maybe this will help others looking for pistons:
FCP Groton, CT says they can't supply pistons for this engine, ditto for GCP.se in Sweden. However, Vintage Performance Developments in western NY state does import them from Sweden on a special-order basis. Price for set of 4 cast pistons including rings and 22mm pins for 6-bolt crank engine= $325 for the set. That is the best deal I've found so far. I've also begun to look into buying forged blanks and machining them myself, but I suspect that scheme will save neither money nor time."

"It seems that you're in a

"It seems that you're in a tough spot with deciding to rebuild the AQ130's as opposed to finding newer (but still no longer in production), OHC based engines. Add to that, it's potentially X2 on you decision. With having to bore out a cylinder that far, I certainly don't envy you having to make that call."

"I will probably pursue the OH

"I will probably pursue the OHC idea at least enough to compare costs. The "bad" cylinder almost cleans up with honing, but it would be foolish to put it all back together with such a doubtful cylinder. With the 130's, I'll probably have at least $1200 invested per engine in parts and reboring services alone, although I do not expect that the 2nd engine will need reboring. It's more than I thought I'd be spending, but I think still less than buying rebuilt short blocks, and at least I know what I've got. VPD tells me that B21 pistons will work in a B20 but requires boring to .120 over and that few engines have thick enough cylinder walls to do that. Yes, X2! I read a posting by El Pescador (I think- hope I'm not misquoting him) that he didn't like twin engine setups in 24' and larger boats because it's all multiplied by 2. How very true."

"Haven't logged on in a wh

"Haven't logged on in a while, so it's a bit late now, but thanks for the link. I agree- you could not do a complete rebuild for 1100."

Back