Logo

aq125a Exhaust manifold leak, gasket question

discobayken

Regular Contributor
I've got a fairly new exhaust manifold (7 yrs ago, VERY light fresh water use) that recently developed a leak (not a water leak, exhaust leak). With a hose to my ear... I can tell its coming from the the rear cylinder. The others are fine.

questions:

1. do I need a VP "marine" gasket set or will a car gasket set be ok? (about a third the price and readily available at the local parts house)

2. Any tips on the process? torque spec, pattern, etc..

3. Should I goop them up with something, glue them on first, etc?

Thank you in advance!

Ken

I think you should remove the manifold and see what's causing the leak.
My guess (looking at mine) is the rear sees water more often and the head may be damaged.
I ordered the automobile gasket as a spare and feel confident it will work as the gasket should not have any water touching it if the manifold and head are in good shape.

Be careful with those bolts!! One of mine broke off in the head.

I would certainly remove the manifold to check for issues. The vehicle type gaskets are not designed for the much harsher environment of salt water - regardless of whether your engine is closed or an open system so I would strongly recommend at the very least using after market gaskets if not VP originals.Likewise do not use any kind of sealer as this will potentially cause problems in the gasket compressing correctly. For torque settings etc then check your manual. They may not actually provide them so pattern it end to end then work into the middle but up to half torque first. I have had a quick look for the exact specs but cant find them. i have an AQ205A and my Seloc manual gives 40 ibf.ft but do your best to nail the exact specs if you can. i will keep looking

Last edited:
Thanks Mtrigger... but I've got a bigger problem now... the exhaust port is corroded away in #4. See my "major malfunction" post. Thanks!

Back