Logo

aq125 collapsed lifter

Are the lifters for the Volvo 2.1 liter car engine the same as in the AQ125a? I haven't verified it yet but I think I dropped a lifter today at the lake. It knocked for a few minutes, out in the middle of the lake of course. Limped it in and noticed i was definitely one cylinder down. The knocking went away after a few minutes but still one dead cylinder. I figure if it was a bearing the noise wouldn't have stopped. Nor could I have limped her in haha. I also noticed I didn't lose oil pressure so that tells me I didn't lose a bottom end bearing.

Delete this thread if possible. Upon further investigation, I lost the compression rings on the number one cylinder. Anyone want to buy a slightly used boat?

I dont have a leak down tester persay. I used the hose and fitting from my compression tester, compressed air. TDC #1 the air escapes into the engine. Almost no resistance to the air loss. Either a hole in piston or rings completely gone. There is a chance I suppose the head gasket is completely gone. But I have the valve cover off, and I hear the air going through the engine lol. Going to yank the head to be sure. What are the chances there is a good, but cheap set of rings, bearings and seals available for this engine?

That is what I was wondering. Is the Volvo 2.1 liter rings and bearings and seals compatible with the AQ125A? If so, I might go for it. I've built several engines so I don't feel the need to pay someone else to do it. I was doing research trying to figure out main bearing bore sizes and what not. My Seloc shows the specs for the 125. Not finding the info for the auto engine haha

The Aq125A is a B21 block (2.1 liter), which is found in 1976-82 242 Volvo cars. Search for the parts you need for that engine.

Turns out it's not rings or piston. The exhaust valve lost a very small piece off the head of it. So I'm going to rockauto and getting a valve and gaskets. I would rebuild the engine completely but, the boat cost me a grand. Needs a new floor and some steering components and what not. Lol not really worth a full rebuild. I am going to just cobble it together to get through the season and then go boat shopping again haha. Thanks all for the help.

headgasket.jpg

As you can see in the picture (I hope) The head gasket is a perfect match to the old one. Except for this one water port. THe new gasket has a bigger opening. Is this going to matter? This is for an AQ125. The head gasket is B21 block (2.1 liter), which is found in 1976-82 242 Volvo car gasket.

No problem. I installed that type of head gasket on the AQ140 I had years ago. Just remember that yours is nothing but a marinized car engine. :)

By the way, check this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayI...HXDpY%2BL6o8osrpX2tDA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Ok, thanks. I didn't think it should be an issue, but I thought I would find out before I start thumping the old girl back together. And holy crap@Ebay listing. I'm not ready to spend that much on the engine. If she holds together rest of the season. I might consider rebuilding the floor in the boat and rebuilding the engine.

Last edited:
The AQ125B is a B230 block, while the AQ125A is a B21. Different heads & different head gaskets. The head gasket I indicated fits the AQ125A.

Yeah it's an AQ125A sorry, thought I had mentioned that. I ordered the sealing ring, and am making my own gasket.

That's what I call an artisan. :D

However, is it worth the effort for about $ bucks that you pay for the automotive gasket? (which by the way will fit perfectly)

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=477047&imageurl=http%3A//www.rockauto.com/info/BeckArnley/BA0394052-1.jpg

Just look in Volvo, 1978, 244, 2,1L L4, cooling, water pump gasket in the link you provided (below). Probably the price at your local friendly auto parts store is not much different. :)

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Well, I bought a bunch of gasket punches and cutters at an auction. I kinda wanted to try them out. haha. :cool: Worked perfectly. Ran great all saturday. Lost the alternator now lolol Theres no end in sight I swear.

Back