Logo

AQ series drives/ Power steering to Hydraulic-non power steering???

duo_prop_dad

Contributing Member
Have a 290 DP with rack steering at helm/ power steering assist cylinder at outdrive.

(lots of slack, especially at "no-wake" speeds which exaggerates side to side motion- constantly steering back and forth to keep going straight)

Considering going to a Seastar or Hynautic type system.

Any one have any experience/ thoughts?

John

If the collar steering fork bushings, or the helmet hinge pins, or helmet pin are bad, the SeaStar system won't help you with this.
This is because the SeaStar unit moves the spindle arm just as the Power Assist linkage moves the spindle arm.
If you have slop from the spindle arm to the drive, the hydraulic steering won't do anything differently.

Now... if the Power Assist unit is bad.... well, that's another issue.

See which components are bad, and replace them..... you may be surprised at how well it steers again.

On that note........, I'll take the Seastar or Hynautic hydraulic system any day, over that of Power Assist steering.
If you do go that route, be sure to use a balanced cylinder! (equal turns Port/Stbd stop to stop).

Last edited:
Rick,

My problem seems to be mainly in the power assist unit attached to transom; the cable starts to move and then the power kicks in, moving too far - then it does the opposite when you turn the other way! When I'm in a no wake zone I try to go straight to no avail...

This is not helped by the deep v design of the hull either.

I once owned an 18' plywood lapstrake with an Eaton I/O - 6 cylinder Ford Comet engine.

There was a lot of play in the linkage from inside the transom to outside. I tried various ways to eliminate slop and new rod ends etc..

I got the bright idea to eliminate the linkage and run the steering cable thru the transom with a stainless steel bracket I engineered to allow movement of the cable for when the outdrive kicked up.

I had it all put together and had one of my kids turn the helm as I watched the drive go side to side...
to my horror, the helm was turning right and drive went left!!! oh shoot!

I stuck my head under the helm and discovered I could take the whole cable assembly off and flip it to get proper
operation! It made for a lot straighter runs out on open water!

My problem seems to be mainly in the power assist unit attached to transom; the cable starts to move and then the power kicks in, moving too far - then it does the opposite when you turn the other way! When I'm in a no wake zone I try to go straight to no avail...

Ayuh,.... Yer experiencin' V-hull wander,....

Usually, Less operator input is the Cure...

There are some power steering that are made of hydraulic system which is the best system in power steering manufacturing.The power steering s are useful for fast driving.These hydraulic power steering are used by all the automobile companies nowadays.

Hydraulic system is generally used because the performance of the Hydraulic system is very efficient and it can give much better result than the normal systems so it is used in making Power Steering of the cars.

Back