Logo

AQ 131 Little to no oil in filter????????

twainstar

Swapped a B230 in my boat. Runs great. Been out on plenty of trips. No running issues. went to change oil and the filter element was saturated with oil but very little to none in filter. No funny noises out on the water. Never installed the oil pressure switch from my old marine motor so no clue as to oil pressure. Look in valve cover with running seems to have plenty of oil. Is my oil pump taking a dump? Or did i mess up those o rings on the pump tube??? Will get oil pressure gauge. What do you all think???? Running 15 40w delo....

You are taking a BIG gamble by not having installed a pressure gauge or even the low pressure alarm switch. You may want to verify the oil pressure and take it from there. But in any case, if the oil pressure/flow was very low I think you would have already seized the engine.

I have used 15W40 in those engines with excellent results, so the oil grade shoud not be a problem.

Yeah I figured it would sound terrible right from the start. Will run 3000 rpm all day long. Ive heard no check valve in aftermarket oil filters but filter sits at an angle. How does the oil run up hill? Stumped till I hook up an oil pressure gauge.

I don't think there's any spec on how much oil needs to be in a filter when you remove it.
not sure why anyone would be concerned about that.

all the oil going to the engine bearings went through that filter. bearings don't need lube when the engine is off.

Back