Logo

AQ 125A Dies Help

rick_gregory

"Installed new Hot Spark. Star

"Installed new Hot Spark. Started right up running smooth but after a minute or two start to cut out or bog down and dies. will start right back up after it dies. can't keep it running. If I give it gas will die. but will start right back up. Already replace coil bosch blue, Put carb kit in, new cap and rotor. Also reset timming to about 10 degrees. Could it be the fuel pump? Help"

It seems that your engine was

It seems that your engine was working fine before you changed anything. You may want to start adjusting the carb idle mixture and idle speed. Also. check if by any chance you may have swapped a couple of ignition wires when you installed new cap and rotor.

Thanks I will give these thing

Thanks I will give these things a try when I get home from work today. Seem to be running good before other than after running around the lake for awhile didn't want to start engine would just turn over and over. That was the reason I put in the hot spark.

"If/when that happens again, t

"If/when that happens again, try to put the throttle lever at 3/4, then start the engine. Just be ready to bring it back quickly to idle once the engine starts."

If you suspect it may be in th

If you suspect it may be in the fuel system you can do like I did. I have a jerry can made from an outboard tank and is equipped with a filter. I refurbished an old junker and ran on the jerry can for a while before getting around to the fuel system. To initially start the boat I connected directly to the carb and pumped the bulb then put the tank above engine to let gravity take over. It worked fine. Good thing I did it that way too. I had several small issues to resolve in the fuel system but now I'm running great!

Ended up being the hot spark p

Ended up being the hot spark put the points back in and runs. I guess the hot spark is bad. Idle fluctuats a little but i'm running again. El I tried the 3/4 trottle and it Started what would causeing this?

"As a motor ages several thing

"As a motor ages several things change or weaken. Even on new engines you may have to give a boat a little throttle to get them going. When you open the throttle two things happen... the pump on the carb will squirt in a little fuel and the throttle plate opens up to allow more air. To me (I'm used to driving OLD boats and Old cars) it's no big issue. However, it could be an air/fuel mixture issue. Adjusting the carb could help. Too, just sitting and not being started for a few days it sometimes may need pumping the throttle a few times after you turn over the engine to get the fuel to the carb. This will work the carb pump to squirt a little fuel in the throat of the carb to help get it started."

Back