Logo

anyone got any idea what year this is please?!!

Hey guys and good evening to you,

Hollah from Plymouth...

I have just joined and thought I'd ask the ppl who know, I have bought a Shetland 535 with a Mariner 55 outboard but needs an internal wiring loom, But I have no idea what year my engine is:confused:, I have looked for ID numbers but they have all been removed so if I was to throw a picture up would someone be able to throw me some info?....

Thanks and as they say in Clandow....."Chow for now" !!

Pete:p

If you look at the top of the thread listing you will see a bar that says Mariner Outboard Parts click here. If you do that you will be taken to another page:http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mariner-outboard-parts/
This is a listing of all the various models. Find yours and follow the links. You don't have to order from our hosts as you are on the wrong side of the Atlantic, so you can cross reference the part numbers with your local suppliers. Cheers.

The 55 Mariner was built between 1984 (sold as a 1985 model) and 1991 in three slightly different configurations.

There was the 55 E (also 55 EL - for the longshaft version) - these were mechanically identical throughout their entire model run, so year is not important.

There was a 55 Marathon which was a manual start (rope pull) in both short and long shaft versions (built in 1985, then again in 1988, 89, 90 and 91) - it will clearly have "Marathon" on the hood under/near the horsepower.

And, there was a 55 "work" model, which was also rope start. It was "mechanically" the same as the Marathon but built in the "in between" years, 1984, 86, and 87.

So if you have the electric start model, the year don't matter and if you have the rope start (only) model, then again, the year doesn't matter.

However, whichever model you have is long discontinued and parts are practically "non-existent", at least as far as electrical wiring goes which means you may have to "make your own" harness.

The 55 Mariner was built by Yamaha for Merc. It was "mechanically" a copy of their own model 55A (in it's various configurations). Yamaha discontinued that motor in 1979 and used up the left over parts to build the 55 Mariner for Merc, finally running out for good in 1991. So at best you are looking for parts produced 34 years ago.

If I was you I would spend the 35 bucks on Seloc's 1&2 cylinder "Mariner" manual and fiddle with the motor to see if you can make it work. Personally, I wouldn't put much money into it since so much is no longer available for it.

Ultimately, you might be better served parting it out - selling what you can - and replacing the motor. There are alot of 50 horse models out there (Mercs, EV's and Johnson's) that still have decent parts support - the 55 Mariner really is an orphan...

Back