Logo

Anybody want to take a crack at this one

n_e_t_o

"1988 120 Looper.
We just wen

"1988 120 Looper.
We just went to Lake Powell. Every morning, on the way out to our fishing spot, the boat would only go 24-27 mph @ around 4000 rpms. We would get to our spot, fish all day, then start up and zip back to the marina at 37 mph @ 5000 rpms! Did this 3 days in a row.
One morning of the 3, we could feel what felt like the 4th cylinder trying to kick in little spurts at at time, but never quite did.
Seems like it runs on 3 cylinders in the morning, then all 4 in the afternoon!

When we launch, we idle it @ 1500 rpms trying to let it warm up. The launch ramp is more than a 1/2 mile right now, so it ends up idling for about 20 minutes. Then we idle through the wakeless zone for another 5 minutes before opening it up. Wondering if it is loading up?

Doesn't idle very well it seems and smokes a lot. Every afternoon, we start up and just go and it runs great.

Any ideas? I have not checked one thing yet. We just got back.

Randy"

"One thing I wonder about is m

"One thing I wonder about is moisture on the motor from the cold night air? It Would dry by afternoon.
Something I do from time to time. I get a mist spray bottle, like a windex bottle, I put just water into it. I wait till its real dark out, I put the water cups on the motor and start her up. I then gently spray water on the spark plug wire, the boots, and the coils.
You can see a short real quick that way. Just look for the blue flame, and try to listen, as it will crack out also.
Just something simple to try. I have found a few problems that way."

"No offense intended but spray

"No offense intended but spraying water on any portion of the ignition system is not a good idea. I understand your reasoning though.

Use Champion QL77JC4 spark plugs and gap them to .040 . Before starting the engine, spray it down with WD40 to dispel any moisture that might be lurking on the powerhead.

At night (darkness), run the engine at a fast idle and observe the ignition components, coils, wiring, etc for arcing."

You could also stop during th

You could also stop during the day light on the way out pull plugs and read them while problem is there.look for taht tan burn or flooded plug will help narrow it down with no danger of darkness and moving parts

Back