Logo

Any tips

"got my new gas tanks installe

"got my new gas tanks installed this past weekend.This weekend Iwant to get my rudders and thru hull fittings reinstalled.any tips you guys have will be appreciated.my plan on the thru hulls is to use starboard for my backer plate and plenty of 4200.bought flange mount ball valves with a three hole flange,dont really want to drill three holes in the bottom of my boat per flange.can i get by without doing this?also is there any harm in greasing my rudder shafts before installing them,sure looks like a good place for somr lubrication. thanks jody"

"Jody,
You can use a straight

"Jody,
You can use a straight thru hull pick up with a separate ball valve. This eliminates the three holes. It also eliminates the need for cutting the thru hull fitting to accommodate your hull thickness. This would be necessary to be sure the fitting tightens into the valve properly without bottoming out prior to obtaining a proper seal against the outside of the hull.

You're good with the starboard and sealant although I prefer Bostik #920, it doesn't run like other urethanes. Don't forget to connect the bonding system. If it makes the job easier you can put some grease on the rudder shafts but it's not going to stay there.

Have fun,
Rick"

"Rick,

"Rick, A while back you and fast jeff recommended that i used marine tex to bond my cutlass bearing to the shaft srut beacause the fit was a little loose,thats some pretty mean stuff.my old thru hull fittings had four 1/8 th inch bolts going through the hull and backer plates .On my new thru hulls there is also four 1/8 th inch bolt holes,the only problem is the new don't match with the old.I think marine tex would be perfect for filling those four little holes.Do you agree? I am going to start from scratch on the bonding system.The old stuff was thin flat copper about an inch wide,but it has seen better days.What do you use to connect everything together? thanks, Jody"

"I remember from my ham radio

"I remember from my ham radio days that the flat copper has minimal capacitive inductance and for transmitting purposes, its' a good thing. I had a marine electrical designer re-do my 34C f0r both AC and DC. He suggested #8 green sheathed wire for the bonding system based on my wire sizes.

One thing about 4200/5200...is does not bond properly to starboard. And I did replace 4 thru hulls above the waterline on the side of the boat using starboard as a backer with 5200. BUT, they are not under the same demands as bottom thru hulls. There was an episode of ShipShape TV on replaceing thru hull fittings with those triangle mount thru hulls and valves but it was a more involved process.
"

"Jody,

Marine -Tex will wor

"Jody,

Marine -Tex will work fine in that application.

Al is right, 8 ga. tinned copper is best. All systems should be bonded directly to a ground plate which contacts the water. This is often done through a large zinc plate or a ground plate."

Back