Logo

Any info appreciated! Stuck!

Jim Vanderheide

I have a barn find Honda motor I can't get any info on. I am assuming it is at least 15-20 years old. All I really know is that it is a BF-20 serial number tag says BF20-1009244 and the motor is stamped BF20-1009259 I am in need of a carburetor. The main jet is plugged solid and the jet itself is seized in. I have found a few carbs that look the same but I have no idea how to tell the difference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I`m not able to tell you what carb you need but if you remove any rubber seals, gaskets and anything that would be effected by heat then you could heat the jet up with a mini blow touch which would help to release it. I was a motorbike mechanic for many years and we came across the same problem every so often and we always found it would release them.

Cheers, Matt.

I may try that. I am concerned that we may have stripped the head of the jet too far to be able to turn it out anyways. The brass was so soft it just shaved right off.

You have a 2HP 1985 Model BF20F. Here is the parts breakdown for the carburetor. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/0/BF20F SA/CARBURETOR/parts.html Unfortunately, the entire carburetor is not available for Honda anymore. You might find one on ebay.

It might be possible to bolt up a more current 2hp carb, but there is no way to tell for sure without having one to try. There are no engineering drawings that I know of.

Mike

I may try that. I am concerned that we may have stripped the head of the jet too far to be able to turn it out anyways. The brass was so soft it just shaved right off.

Use a pair of small vice grips on the outside of the jet once you`ve got it good and hot. A complete jet set is still available cheaply so it`s worth a try as you were looking at replacing the whole carb.

Cheers, Matt.

Back