Logo

Antifreeze coming on of exhuast at startup

N

Nick Mihnovets

"I have a 1998 340 Searay with

"I have a 1998 340 Searay with a 454 mercruiser closed cooling. When I start one of the engines I smell antifreeze and see a film in the water by the exhaust hole. The oil is not foamy or white (looks normal) and the engine seems to run fine. Not sure at what points antifreeze and lake water or exhaust can potentially mix. the engine with this problem run slightly warmer than the other. Have new impeller, radiator cap, thermostat and coolant."

"Have you looked at the heat e

"Have you looked at the heat exchanger for leaks? If the raw water wasn't drained during winterization, it can crack and leak."

"I had the same problem on my

"I had the same problem on my mercruiser 470. It was the heat exchanger. It had corroded inside and the coolant was leaking into the "lake" side. Replaced the exchanger and it works fine now. It will just get worse as times goes on until eventually you are stuck in the middle of the lake like I was

Just to clarify, the exchanger runs coolant thru pipes in the middle and pulls lake water around these pipes in a large torpedo looking tube mounted to the side of your engine."

Back