Logo

Another Volvo question

"I have reserched this forum f

"I have reserched this forum for days and can not find the answers to my questions, so I figured I would start here.
I have a 19' Reinell early 70's model with a volvo aq-130c. I aquired this boat at a garage sale and know no history of it. I have completely rebuilt the motor and the first time in the water I had oil coming out the exhaust and water in the oil. I have since pressure checked the oil cooler and it definately is no good. The other problem I encountered was that I have no idea what prop I need, I purchased a 15 x 17 from ebay and this prop is to big, max rpm 2000 and wallows in the water.

So my questions are :

1- Can the oil cooler cause oil to go overboard and water to get in the oil also ?? I would think that the higher pressure would prevail and only cause 1 of these problems.

2 - Which prop should I try next ??

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Rob"

"Im not too familiar with the

"Im not too familiar with the oil coolers but if there like the engine heat exchangers. What happens the oile goes through a pipe into the cooler box and water is pumped on the outside of the pipe in the box if that makes sense. If the water ate the inner pipe that housed the oil then yes the two would mix. When water leaves the oil cooler it goes to the exhaust manifold and out the drive. Good luck finding parts, you may get lucky and find one on ebay or see if you can get the inner parts and rebuild it. Thats the reason why i never cared for the oil coolers. There good idea but don't like the thought of them going bad and contaminating the waters with oil.

go to volvopenta.com and you can look up your engine and get the specs and owners manual.

Thanks to Don on another site here is a link for the service manual for your engine.. http://www.4shared.com/file/59747156/6c065c44/AQ130_thru_170_Serv_Man.html"

"Hello,

Can you run without

"Hello,

Can you run without an oil cooler? If you can, that would be my first choice. Second the 15x17 prop should be fine for that boat. If you can only reach 2000 rpm, then you have some problems elsewhere, it is not with the prop.

Have a great day

Rob"

"1. The tube bundle inside of

"1. The tube bundle inside of the oil cooler has repaceable O-rings at either end...... they need to be in pristine condition. Check for corrosion at/on the tube bundle.

2. WOT RPM is far too low! That pitch is not unrealistic, IMO.... even if it were slightly too much P, your WOT RPM should still be greater.
Spun prop hub?????

The drive ratio may be incorrect also (must be 2.15:1 for this engine).... not uncommon!
Or, your ignition TAT is off.
See your OEM manual for this spec... set/check accordingly.

."

"If you troll all day long, yo

"If you troll all day long, you'd be OK, however running at cruise for any length of time may be an issue if you live in Florida, not so much if you live in Alaska. When my oil cooler leaked, it put a sheen of oil in the water, no water in the oil. However, if the leak is bad enough, then water and oil can mix both ways when the boat is at rest."

"You might want to check the o

"You might want to check the o-rings as Rick suggested as you first step. You can also take the heat exchanger assembly to a radiator shop to see if they can attempt a repair. If it's too far gone, you might look on ebay for a used tube bundle. You won't like the price of a new one!

That's the price you pay for having an older propulsion package. I know first hand, I've got the AQ130D. Nice engine and easy to work on but some replacement components can be difficult to find."

"Or... if you're handy..

"Or... if you're handy..

Buy a standard oil cooler and a remote filter kit.
Some suitable hoses and fittings...

oil cooler (need not be exact same size as now,just so long as the diameter and overall length are the same or larger)

You could find and repair the leak, assuming its only one or two tubes, however that would be a loosing proposition in the long term.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2589

For the remote oil filter kit you need not use marine parts, but it must fit the same filter as is on your engine now. This site has adapters for various Volvo automotive engines..

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-7692-Remote-Filter/dp/B000CMD73I

It's been many years since I had one apart but I don't think that the O ring seals are on the seawater to oil interface."

"[b]volvo aq-130c?????[/b]

"volvo aq-130c?????
Why mess with retro fitting an entirely different system onto this engine? There are two of these being offered on e-Bay as we speak. I think there is quite an interchangeablity on these. Ask questions first!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/volvo-penta-oil-cooler-for-aq-ohc-engine_W0QQitem Z180481782311QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item2a058d7227

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-Oil-Cooler-P-N-1-824515_W0QQitemZ2505 98925068QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item3a58dc230c"

"Just an update, I pressure ch

"Just an update, I pressure checked the cooler today and the center rod where the bolt goes through is gone. I can not think of a feasible way to repair this, so I cut it off at the edge of the cooler part, welded up the openings and was planning on going without the cooler or drilling and tapping and adding an aftermarket cooler.
I am now running water through it from a garden hose to see if I am still getting water in the oil. I know it might not show up till the engine is warm though.
Ricardo thank you as I have researched ebay and did not see these, I will buy them both.
I will post more as I figure things out and thanks for everyones help. Any other ideas are appreciated also.

Thanks Rob"

""I will buy them both.&#3

""I will buy them both."

Now wait a minute Rob. I buy "spares" like tilt assembly, carbs, oil cooler, and the like on ebay but only buy up what I need. How about being nice and leaving what you don't need for the next guy? These parts can be difficult to find - let's help each other out!"

"Me again. Went out and checke

"Me again. Went out and checked it and within 1 hr on the garden hose, connected downstream from the cooler. ( coller not installed and bypassed ) Had 1 qt of water in oil pan, so I guess I am looking at cracked block or head.
I didn't think it would cause both problems."

Back