Logo

Another Trim/Tilt Question

redtail318

My 2000 Alpha stern drive was winterized back in November. The V8 starts and runs like a dream but the tilt doesn't operate. The out drive is in trailer position right now. Depressing down I can hear the motor running but the drive does not move. I checked the fluid level and even added a bit to make sure it was up to level. I'm thinking air in the system, the service manual suggests running the drive up and down several times - WTF, it doesn't move how does that help. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

My apologies if this has been answered, I have been searching the forum for this type of issue. Having returned from a month of business travel I was looking forward to chasing some fish.

You most likely trimmed it up all the way and it is over pressurized.

You need to access the two lines comming out of the pump and break them loose.

Not too loose just enough to allow the pressure to be relieved.

Once loose push the down button and let a small amount of fluid to escape the line ends. Tighten and retry and see if it works.

For future use when trailering the out drive all the way up when you reach the end of travel hit the down button for a second to relieve the pressure.

not to hijack the thread, but mine goes down part way, then stops, I have to stand on it to get it to go the rest of the way down. could that be my problem too?

Disconnected the rams from the out drive. Still no movement, I released pressure from both sides up and down lines, even get fluid running out with the pump activated. No movement on either ram. Still puzzled; perhaps not enough pressure from the pump to move the drive?

Back