Logo

Another question for JWB

a33god

"Alright here we go again, 199

"Alright here we go again, 1996 Evinrude Intruder 150. I am having an issue with the transition between low speed idle and high speed acceleration. I can put the boat in the water fire it up and it runs just fine, run it out for a while on the lake and no problems, bring it to an idle in gear and neutral hit the throttle and plane right back off. The issue is when i turn off the motor go fish for an hour or 2, then try and fire it back up and it will idle rough and when I put it in gear and try and go between the low speed idle and accelerate it to high speed it starts to stumble and dies repeatedly. I have to rev the throttle out of gear for several seconds then drop it in gear real fast and try and accelerate quick like to keep it from stalling. once I get the boat back to high speed and planed off i dont have any issues like that unless i trun it off and let it sit for awhile. then it is rinse and repeat. I am pumping the bulb full before each start and not an issue with that. Carbs have been rebuilt and are not seeming to have any issues. got plenty of fire new powerpack and great spark. So any ideas here would be great. went to a local mechanic and he looked it over and said everything looked great on the carbs and it ran just fine to him, 110 on compression test all around. He seems to think I might have a carb that is maybe having a float issue and spilling more fuel into the throat of one of the carbs and flooding the engine because I can rev the engine and a more than usual amount of smoke will come out and then I can jump it into gear and it runs fine after that. HE said I can put it in the water with a second person and take the air breather off and look to see if 1 carb is dumnping too much fuel while I have a buddy try and accelerate through that to see if it is doing that. Any help would be great guys. thanks,.....AL"

"Well i"m not jwb, but i w

"Well i"m not jwb, but i will tell you what jwb told me to cure the same problem on my j90plst. and it worked for me !!!!! start opening the carb mixture screws 1/4 turn at a time on all the carbs until the problem goes away. How i did mine was run it an let it sit for about 30 mins (this is when the problem was at its worst) then i started adjusting until it went in gear an accepted fuel without shutting off. It took opening the mixture screw one full turn for mine to start running right. I did it 1/4 turn at a time.....using the choke to keep it from cutting off is much easyier than revvving it in nutral an then slamming it in gear!!!!!"

"exactly!....make sure u are t

"exactly!....make sure u are testing,..w/breather installed....make sure that roller on throttle cam,is slightly touching cam,(under cover) in neutral.many things can cause your probs,..but this is a starting point.glad to hear david,it worked for you....heat soak,on the 60 degree eng's is an issue,as well..."

"No I am not doing what it sou

"No I am not doing what it sounds like, reving it up then slamming it in gear...lol I meant I am burning out the excess fuel then letting it come back to an idle then putting it in gear before it just sits and idles to long and starts to die again. So the idle screws in the front of the carbs are the air mixture screws I take it? If so is there a base line I should start from to make sure they are all in sync as far as distance from all the way closed?"

"they are not,air mixture scre

"they are not,air mixture screws bub,..they are,..fuel INLET screws....screw them in,then back out 5 turns,and go fr there..."

"So, I take it by 5 turns, you

"So, I take it by 5 turns, you mean 5 full turns not 5- 1/4 turns? Which would be like 1 1/4 full turns if it was 5- 1/4 turns."

"five full turns, from lightly

"five full turns, from lightly seated. the keyword is lightly seated ! Do not over tighten them mixture screws."

"Wow, so get this, I paid clos

"Wow, so get this, I paid close attention to where the mixture screws were when I ran them back in to set them evenly. I made a cross diagram with all 6 cylinders and found that they were all screwed up. #2 and 6 cylinder were at 8 1/2 turns out, #4 and 1 cylinders were 7 turns out, and #3 and 5 cylinders were 5 turns out. So they were all jacked up and not even close to being syncd close to one another. Is this typical? I would not think so I set tham all to 5 and will check it out on the lake today, but it did seem to idle fine at home on the muffs. hopefully it runs fine on the water if not I brought the allen wrench to start to tweak them till i get them right."

Back