Logo

another newbie question on alpha 1

alilley

as i have mentioned before i am a newbie to boats and dont know a hole lot of people that have and run them. i have a 1988 sunchaser 17 footer with a 3.o mercruiser and alpha 1 out drive i got it fired up today on the muffs and was just watching things over to see how they were working and i got to noticing that the return water was comning out an area outside the boat but before the outdrive right by the transome i looked at the corgated rubber boot that goes through the transome but it does not appier to be torn (at least the small area of it that i can see) and it only has the water coming out when it is running is this normal?? i thought that the exhost cam out from the center of the prop can some one please give me an inside of what is going in and what it might take to fix it and can it be place on the water and ran as it is if i need to get a picture of what is going on i might be able to do that please inform and tanks in advance for all your help

It's normal for water to exit the OD at the bottom. Exhaust gases exit via the prop. Very little water will exit via the prop. You can stick your finger in the water opening which is the drain of the engine exhaust down pipe. Raise the OD and get on your knees to look at it w/the engine off and the water hose on low. Have the bow higher than the stern so water doesn't backflow into the engine via the exhaust.

When the out drive is tilted up you will see water spraying out both sides between the drive and the back of the boat.This is normal.

great thanks mine only does one side but i thinking that it is doing that since i only have an inline 4 clyender now if i can get it to idle and i will be calling my dad over for that as he has way more experience tuning carbs then i do then it is off to the stor to get pfd's and we are on the water thanks again to all that had helped

Back