Logo

another fuel question

Mikestyger1

So the boat runs relatively GREAT now, with one exception. I can run all over and it does great. When I stop for a few minutes and start back up it sputters a little. i checked the primer bulb and sure enough it's flat and won't pick up fuel. After waiting a few minutes and slowly giving it gas it will finally pick back up. Any idea why it's doing this? I would like to turn it back on, give it gas, and have it go. At least it's something that isn't going to leave me stranded. Thanks
Mike

It sounds like you have either a bad check valve in your primer bulb, kinked fuel line somewhere between the engine and the tank, clogged pickup tube in the tank, bad venting to the tank, or bad antisyphon valve in the tank outlet (if you have one).

It is best to position the primer bulb so the arrow points up or at least horizontally. The check valve work better that way.

Mike

I agree with Hondadude.

I always work from the most simple to most difficult. So the first thing is to check the fuel tank vent tube. When it starts to sputter, or the bulb goes flat, simply open the fuel cap. If that fixes the problem, clean out the vent line. Next, check for a kinked or restricted fuel line between the bulb and the tank. There is no good way to check the bulb itself that I know of, so just replace it. You should do that every three years anyway. If all that fails, then pull the pick-up tube out of the gas tank. There will be a screen on the bottom that will likely be clogged. If that is the problem, then it's a good idea to consider draining your tank. Here is the procedure I have used...

The way I have cleaned the tank is to purchase an aftermarket 12V electric fuel pump from an automotive parts store and rig up a plastic hose on the intake side that will reach to the far corners of the tank. Then I raise the bow of the boat and tilt it slightly to one side so the fuel will accumulate in one corner of the tank and pump the fuel out through a standard, clear, inline fuel filter rigged up to the outflow side of the fuel pump. That filter will show you how much crap you are getting out. You will likely need to clean it out often. Also, pump the first several quarts of fuel into a clear glass container to see if there is much water in the bottom of the tank. You can use the remaining fuel (less the water) in your car or truck. Then put in a couple of gallons of new fresh fuel, drop the bow and slosh it around in the tank as best you can to pick up remaining debris. Raise the bow again, and pump that out, using the same procedure. That will get almost all the crap out of the tank and the Racor filter will take care of the rest.

By the way, that electric fuel filter can be used for many other tasks around the home, like draining lawn equipment tanks, and transferring other fuels. It's relatively slow, but works consistently and safely.

Back