Logo

Annoying overheating problem

jobofly

First i just want to say Hi, i love these forums and have been reading them for a while now. i have an 85 sea ray weekender with a 5.7 and a 800 stringer outdrive. last week my boat started overheating when i tried to get on plane. if i keep it at 2000 rpms it doesnt overheat but as soon as i go higher that that it heats right up. i never let it get to the red line, temo is something i am constantly checking while on the water. any ideas what it can be?

Thanks guys!!!

grease the swivel bearing. impeller is probably sucking exhaust gases.
you access it through a hole on the front side of the outdrive - the hole is just above the chin anode. you might need a small grease gun adapter like is used for ujoints.

??grease the swivel bearing. impeller is probably sucking exhaust gases??? HUH?? How would this make it overheat? How could it suck exhaust in the impeller? Changing the impeller,if the boats been in salt water it can be a Bummer. Get the manual this site sells them.try to find a factory one.They are a lot better. First take the hose from the impeller off at the thermo housing.See if it's blocked? Take out the thermo and see if it's working? Then start it and see how much water is pumping?? That OK? Then the risers and manifold are probably clogged. If they are original they are probably due for a new set? Some people will tell you you can "soak" or "acid dip" them.It's a waste of $$$ Get new.

ok i did some research of all of the maintenance done on the boat over the last 15 years and the impeller was last changed in 2003, that must be the cause of the overheating right?

You can do it yourself, but I would take it in. There are too many O-Rings and stuff required that only a Tech would have. I priced it in my area, and IF he had to remove the "leg " from the Boat, and replace EVERYTHING including the Pump Housing I was quoted around $400.00 Canadian.

Bull. I posted how to do it. And it's spelled out in the MANUAL. You know a guy who will do it take it in.

Otherwise read what i posted. 35 dollars for the kit with the housing complete, everything.

This is a stringer and the grease is for keeping the exhaust out, if you don't know stringers don't post.

Back