Logo

Amsoil Saber 100:1

Amsoil claims to have a Saber 100:1 that is approved for outboard use in pre-mix applications only. However, I'm not sure that I would run 100:1 in my outboard. I think the Saber oils are thicker, so even though by volume you're using 1/2 the oil, once it dilutes into the gasoline you're probably getting about the equivalent molecular concentration of oil polymers. I know the Saber 100:1 small engine formula I use for my chainsaw and gas trimmer has the consistency of thick syrup. The HP Injector oil I've used at 50:1 in my Evinrude 140 is much thinner.

2cycle_chart.gif

thanks kevin! I'm thinking about why my manual says 100:1 ... some guys say that this was changed to 50:1 for some reason... my engine is a '86 Evinrude 40hp E40ELCDE. So, I'm trying to find information about the newer engines that runs on leaner ratios, do they run 50:1 WOT or leaner? For my surprise, my engine was reading about 135 and 132 some weeks ago and today the compression was 145 and 143 using Saber Outboard... I don't know what to do, for sure I'm still unable to find Amsoil testing evidence in this matter but for sure in my case, it is working great.

Joe Reeves knows that era inside and out so hopefully he'll chime in. Yes, I have read at one time OMC approved some motors to run at 100:1 and then issued a TSB stating they should be run at 50:1. If you do a lot of low speed trolling, then you can probably get by with 100:1. However, my boat does a lot of high RPM running and lugging towing tubes and skis so I prefer to have a significant oil film to protect the parts.

I think the thickness of the Saber and the formulation of the oil makes it 'stickier' so it will cling to surfaces. I suppose it's possible the use of the Saber versus whatever you were using previously may have filled in minute scratches in the cylinders to bump up the compression. Amsoil is also know to have excellent detergent properties and removes carbon buildup. It's also possible there was carbon causing the rings to stick a little and the Amsoil has removed that and the rings are sealing better.

KJ

Joe Reeves, wish to meet him someday,excellent human being, he recommended me a lot of times to run 50:1 I think he's mad at me right now, but I think Saber outboard is apart from any 2 cycle oil... If this oil had the same quality as others, my engine should be ruined right now, and the results are the opposite, running strong, no loss of compression...

Back