Logo

Alternator tensioning device

"I know it has been posted bef

"I know it has been posted before, but I found this on another site and I loved it even more than the "belt jack" that was mentioned in previous posts. i thought some of you would like it too. http://www.atomic4.com/ADJ.htm
A permanent install, and very simple.
Steve"

"Although a good idea, this de

"Although a good idea, this device will cause most people to overtighten the belt, causing belt failure as well as alternator and waterpump bearing failure.

I'm not saying don't use it. I am saying be careful with it."

"Well, I need to make about 4

"Well, I need to make about 4 of those things!

I would use a turnbuckle with a "C" shaped bar on each end. AND, as Rick says, very easy to overtighten belts but on the other hand, when you are single handed, on one leg, and the other arm keeping you from falling into some hole or another.....it is handy !"

"I like it. Close in concept

"I like it. Close in concept to the alternator adjustment jackscrew on a '67 Mercedes. BUT, how are folks adjusting the RW pump belt, which can't use either the jack or the bracket?"

I have a simple pry bar that I

I have a simple pry bar that I use to hold the belt at the desired tension while I tighten the bolts. It is not rocket science but it works. I only have about one foot of leverage so it is difficult to over tighten.

Chuck Hanson

"Custom ground & bent scre

"Custom ground & bent screwdriver, thru the inboard mounting bolt's slot in the pump bracket. This allows tensioning by applying pressure with the right foot while the hands secure the bolts with the wrench/ratchet.

Also found that a 32.5" belt lasts longer than a 33" belt. Only 'trick' to using it is to get the belt on the first time - remove two bolts, remove pump, install belt, place pump on bracket, reinstall two bolts. After the initial stretch, it behaves just like the OEM part."

Back