Logo

Alternative to Mercruiser remote oil filter kit

settimo velo

Contributing Member
I am thinking about fitting remote oil filters on my twin LXV6s (93 - 95) as the filters are going to be difficult, although not impossible, to get at when the engines are installed. The Mercruiser kit seems quite expensive to buy new, compared with possible alternatives such as: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/51715/10002/-1

Would anyone recommend an alternative to the OEM kit? ... One thing confusing me is the thread size of the oil filter with 2 3/4" o/d o ring. I tried measuring this with some simple calipers which gave 11/16" across the top of the threads, but this doesn't match either the 3/4" or 13/16" thread adapters in the JEGS kit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Maybe this will explain it better.

The thread on the block looks like 18 x 1.5 mm thread, the thread on the new remote adapter is 3/4-16 thread I think if I read it correctly. It requires a different oil filter than merc oem. Looks like a standard oil filter for a V8, Fram # HP-1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1150/

Last edited:
Often the kits require a different fliter than what the actual engine would normally use. No big deal, other than possible confusion.

The kit that Merc may use is very likely nothing specific to Merc, and could be thought of as After-Market anyway. Perhaps Merc buys them..... and puts their name on it.

With any of these, I'd recommend doing an initial assembly, then take the hoses to an Air/Oil hose supplier, and have crimp sleeves installed, and forgo the band clamps.

Not sure why, but this kit is showing two SAE male fittings, yet no SAE counter part.
The Air/Oil hose supplier will have these fittings that you need.

555-51715.jpg

Steer clear of the remote systems that use the inverted filter cartridge.

Check out the "Hayden" remote oil filter and oil cooler systems.

Long as the engines are not yet installed, treat yourself to a pair of remote oil pan drain hoses as well.

BTW, the remote systems are "Directional"..... so make sure that you understand flow direction.
(Oil enters the cartridge from around ther perimeter.... returns from within the center of the cartridge.)

Last edited:
Rick

Look at the link I posted........it is what you are speaking to. AN fittings, easy set up!!!

I went to my local NAPA and purchased the adapter to the block and the remote adaptor and had them MAKE the hoses as you suggest. I made a mounting bracket to mount on the top of the elbow as merc did and painted it black.

Mine was easier as it is a 350 V8.............same filter as normal.......just a better location.

One more thing to remember, Make sure you measure the distance for the hose lengths if you want to mount at the elbow.. Most likely a automotive kit will not be long emough and add 1 or 2 inches to your measurement for some flexability......

Last edited:
Deffinately need to do this to mine. My port engine filter is not the easiest to get at. Have to crawl around front of engine. Taking my time sourcing the right manufacturer though as I heard there are some inferior products out there; reduced flow, casting flash etc etc.

Back