Logo

Alpha One water leak

mike1970

"Hello Guys-
I have an ongoin

"Hello Guys-
I have an ongoing problem that I still haven't solved. Just a brief summary, it is a 1998 4.6 rwc w/ alpha one drive. Problem w/risers on stbd side running hot, engine does not overheat. The last advice you guys gave me was to check the impeller in the drive, possibly pumping enough water to cool engine, but not enough to cool risers.
Today, while running it on the hose,I noticed water leaking, but am not sure if it is normal.
On the front of the drive, just above where the lower unit bolts up, there is a oval hole in the housing, that is where I have water coming out, at all rpm's.
Is that normal, or could the water tube,and/or seals coming from the impeller housing be leaking, thus not supplying not enough water to cool the risers.
Thanks for your help."

"I believe that what your seei

"I believe that what your seeing is exhaust water, and should not be a concern. How hot is the riser? You should be able to put your hand on it without getting burnt. It is not uncommon for one side to be warmer than the other (by as much as 20 degrees).
If the riser is too hot to touch, you should take it off and source the problem. At 10 years of age, it may be partially clogged, or if ran in salt water, may need repacing. If it's clogged, a radiator shop should be able to clean it out for you for a reasonable price."

Back