Logo

Alpha 1 Gen 2 upper drive shaft seals?

ants

Hi,
I have a rebuild kit, but am unsure which are the driveshaft seals for the upper unit (Gen 2 so the seal go in from above, not from underneath as they did in Gen 1). From memory of what I pulled out (I forgot to take a pic) I think it was the two that are the same height (put in back to back), but I also have a single slightly higher one of the same diameter, and it looks like there is enough room to accommodate that height. Parts diagrams and service manual are not clear.

Also, the service manual says to use the seal insert tool to space it correctly, but as I recall the seals were up against each other with no gap?

Attachments

• 20240329_142315.jpg
    20240329_142315.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240329_142404.jpg
    20240329_142404.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 4
Are all the seals the same inside (lip) diameter?
Maybe take another pic showing all the seals looking down on them so the outside and inside diameters are visible?????

Yes as the manual shows/says, You should have the seal driver tool to properly install the seals. Why dont you?
If you had what is in the manual, Then it wouldnt make any difference regarding spacing.............

I tried to edit prior post but the one minute timer expired..............WTF!

Are all the seals the same inside (lip) diameter?
Maybe take another pic showing all the seals looking down on them so the outside and inside diameters are visible.

The two identical ones obviously are the same inside and outside diameter.
Is the "longer" seal inside and outside diameter the same as the two identical?

Yes as the manual shows/says, You should have the seal driver tool to properly install the seals. Why dont you?
If you had what is in the manual, Then it wouldnt make any difference regarding spacing.............

You should have the seal driver tool to properly install the seals. Why dont you?
I am in Australia and parts and tools have long lead times out here, the boat has to go back in the water soon so I was checking if anybody had experience of whether the tool puts the seal does on tot he first one or does leave a space.

After reviewing the parts diagrams for the the gen II it appears, IF all the inside diameters are the same the "long" one is a double lipped seal. There may have been a change from two to one seal or the other way around, from one to two seals at some point so they include all three.

If the long sided double lip seal is smaller diameter then it is for the vertical drive shaft (Lower unit).

I havent had a gen two apart in a very long time, 99% of what i work on are gen one's.

If the long sided double lip seal is smaller diameter then it is for the vertical drive shaft (Lower unit).
Thanks for your suggestions. all three are from the upper rebuild kit only so should either be for this upper or perhaps some parts only applicable to other uppers,

I can confirm all 3 appear to have the same inner and outer diameters and fit snuggley on the drive shaft coming up from the lower.

That is not correct, two of the seals should seal to the bottom of the upper intermediate shaft that the driven gear fits to.

The back to back is to seal in oil from gear case#1. Then to seal any possible water from below.

If any of the seals fit to the vertical shaft from lower unit that seal HAS to be smaller inner diameter to seal to shaft.

I am wondering if the double lip seal goes all the way in first, this double seals vertical shaft from lower, the single lip seals go back to back do a certain depth to seal the intermediate shaft in tne upper......

Hi,
I have a rebuild kit, but am unsure which are the driveshaft seals for the upper unit (Gen 2 so the seal go in from above, not from underneath as they did in Gen 1). From memory of what I pulled out (I forgot to take a pic) I think it was the two that are the same height (put in back to back), but I also have a single slightly higher one of the same diameter, and it looks like there is enough room to accommodate that height. Parts diagrams and service manual are not clear.

Also, the service manual says to use the seal insert tool to space it correctly, but as I recall the seals were up against each other with no gap?
Depending on serial number of the drive it uses either back to back seals i believe facing opposite directions or single seal. Either way pack area between seal lips with grease.

See attached photo of parts breakdown from this sites parts section with serial number breakdown. This site has great parts drawings.

I just did mine , single double lip seal and used a generic seal driver and or a socket to drive it in. Ended up finding the shimming tools used on ebay as I needed to replace the upper bearing so did them all.
You should be able to see where the seal rode on bottom of gear to give u an idea. If I recall mine was basically bottomed out maybe a small space to get a puller in to get seal out.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.png
    IMG_0054.png
    520.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi all, Sorry to jump in but I am going through exactly the same journey right now. I have another question to add that's based on the seal install. Do you need to coat the outside of the seals with some sort of gasket sealant or similar prior to install? It does not mention it in the manual.

Hi all, Sorry to jump in but I am going through exactly the same journey right now. I have another question to add that's based on the seal install. Do you need to coat the outside of the seals with some sort of gasket sealant or similar prior to install? It does not mention it in the manual.
I used red loctite form a gasket to lightly coat them. not 100% sure it is required

I used red loctite form a gasket to lightly coat them. not 100% sure it is required
Yeah I cant work it out either, I think I would feel better with something on there, it seems a bit odd to change the seals and then not give them the best chance to actually seat and seal onto the drive!

The seals do not need to be locktighted in place. They are a press fit already.

Use a good sealing product as suggested, lubricate the seal lips with merc teflon grease and press into position.
Deburr shaft(s) and Lube shaft(s) with grease before install.
Install and once assembled Pressure check with NO gear oil to ~ 15 psi.

Back