Logo

Alarm

BobFino

I have the BF20 on my tender. Starts right up and after a few minutes the alarm sounds. Oil level is good cooling good as well. After it stalls it starts back up and runs fine. Wondering if it could be just a sender or other suggestions welcome. Thank you

Hi,

What year is your engine?
I'm not familiar with the tiller models but I own a BF20D remote model and I have both the owners manual and shop manual and have worked on many 20D remote outboards
Great pontoon motor.

When was the last time the thermostat was replaced?
Because, this could be due to a "lazy" operating tstat.

Well, a five year old stat might be getting sticky....
...or it might not.
But, this is around the time I would be recommending a new one.
item # 5 in the link below

I also recommend taking off the water jacket cover (item # 8) and inspecting/cleaning out the jacket. Especially for this symptom.
That gives you the opportunity change out the sacrificial anode (item # 1) and it's mounting screw (item #12) (don't scrimp on that screw, they corrode and will break off causing you more than $2 worth of misery)
Check/clean the flush valve components (items # 2, # 3 and #4). They can typically be reused but I prefer to change them out...the spring at least.

If you choose to do this chore, buy new seals (items #1 and #9) as they don't always cooperate when being reused.

Doing this bit of maintenance may not actually resolve the issue but, as I said, it is time.

One way or the other it will eliminate the stat and crud in the water jacket as being the cause.

You mentioned sensor before and, yes, occasionally they fail and could cause this problem.
But I don't care for the "test" that has you unplugging it and running the outboard because doing that leaves the engine unprotected in the event that it IS actually overheating and you didn't detect it.

For $25 bucks I would just add one, with seal, to my parts order.

Items # 8 and 15 in the link below.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all the info and links to parts. I am good about flushing it out with fresh water. So I think I will start with the thermostat and sensor. Thanks sgain.

Well, I actually SHOULD have asked you about, and/or mentioned, the waterpump's age as well.

If it has never been serviced, it is overdue at 5 years.

I hope that you're not basing your comment "cooling good as well" on the strength of the pee stream alone.

I have seen outboards with good looking pee streams have an old pump with only 1 intact pump vane left.

These things can fool you.

And, if the pump is damaged it won't be supplying sufficient cooling and could also cause this issue due to localized hot spots as a result.

Not trying to worry you but just letting you know.

Good luck.

Back