Logo

Aftermarket power pack

"Hi, I found out today that th

"Hi, I found out today that the reason I had no spark was due to a bad power pack. My mechanic replaced it with a used one for now , but recommended I replace it with a new one, whichs leads too this: Should I replace it with a oem part or can I use an after market one made by sierra or mallory? Any comments on this subject would be welcome and helpful.<font face=""arial,helvetica""></font> Please advise. Thanks."

"I've used both sierra and

"I've used both sierra and mallory in the past and haven't had a bad experience, but I would bite the bullet on the power pack and go OEM (if available). I can't say sierra or mallory would be a bad choice, just for my own peace of mind."

"oem is your best bet.i purcha

"oem is your best bet.i purchased a mallory and it was bad out of the box,had a hard time proving it to the dealer ,long story short i ate it,and got oem from johnrude dealer.still running......"

"What kills a pack is normally

"What kills a pack is normally not the pack itself due to 'quality'.
If you do not correct the error that killed the first pack before replacing with a new, you will shortly kill the new as well, OEM or other!
Check for jumping sparks, wrong Spark plugs (NGK 'R'), jumping currents in the rubber connectors!, erratic stop switch etc."

"Also check your coils.
I wen

"Also check your coils.
I went thru about three pacs (OEM) in 18months, always the bottom plug.

Then that coil died as had an internal bad joint when studied.

10 years with this last pac.............going strong.

Bruce."

Back