Logo

After Carb rebuilt, motor revs like crazy?????

bretmoua

Outboard Motor: Mercury 150hp XR6 2 stroke with oil and fuel mixing on its own.

Ok, so earlier this year, I have replaced the thermostats, fuel pump, fuel filter, water pump, new fuel line and bulb, and everything ran fine until a week ago. I took it out last week and noticed that my motor stalls and will not go when I have the throttle lever all the way down. It will just stall and not pick up speed like it would normally do. I timed it and it took about a minute for it to engage somehow and pick up speed. So today, I decided to rebuild the carbs. After spending half the day rebuilding 3 carbs, the motor starts up better but there is a slight problem now. Every time the boat starts up, the boat revs like crazy even though the throttle lever is in the neutral position. I double checked my connections and everything is put back like the way they were. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Please help.

Hmmm....u mean where the carbs attach to the motor? I double check and all 3 gaskets are in place between the carbs and motor. The gaskets are also in place between the black carb housing and the carb.
What do u mean gasket drop down?

Well, if the gasket/ carb has two mounting bolts, and you miss one, it hangs down off one bolt and creates a nasty vacuum leak.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff, I had the same thing happen on a 2 stroke dirtbike, had a leak at the base gasket. Also it is common for a 2 stroke to rev up as it runs out of fuel.

Ok, so I double checked everything all all the screws are in the right places and are as tight as tight can be, without being stripped. Can my linkage be put back wrong? I took a picture of the area before taking apart and have it back on the same way. Hmmmm.....what is wrong???

Ok, so I double checked everything all all the screws are in the right places and are as tight as tight can be, without being stripped. Can my linkage be put back wrong? I took a picture of the area before taking apart and have it back on the same way. Hmmmm.....what is wrong???
Yep. If you remove the carbs and put them back on you'll have to do a link n sync to get it all back in synchronization.

Back