Logo

after 10 yr layup both engine have anitfreeze in the cylinders

kevin babineau

i just got a 1973 tricabin the had 360 put in it in 1988... boat has been on the hard for about 10 years..fresh water cooled engines appear to be winterized...when i went to pull the plugs to squirt some mystery oil in there green antifreeze poured out of both engines...I ideas on why? im going to pull ther engines..anyone ever pull the motors on a tricabin with walters vee drives?

Are the engines fresh water cooled or RAW WATER COOLED?

If they are indeed fresh water cooled, and there's antifreeze in the cylinders, you could have a cracked block, or if the exhaust manifolds are also cooled by the closed system then they could be leaking antifreeze down into the cylinders.

Otherwise the antifreeze could have been put there intentionally if a very long lay-up period was planned. I've never heard of this but stranger things have happened.

-JJ

It's a BITCH trying to pull motors in one of those, so do ALL that you can before going that way. In short, get them running and do a complete diagnostics. You might get lucky. If not, most people remove the roof and pull them out that way. A Chris Craft at our marina was done that way.

Good luck.

Jeff

.............. In short, get them running and do a complete diagnostics. You might get lucky.
Good luck.

Jeff
Ditto Jeff! Explore all avenues before pulling them out.

It could be that some knucklehead poured antifreeze directly into the exhaust manifolds without realizing that any over-flow at the riser transitions may have back flowed and come up against the exhaust valves.
Any open valves may have allowed the antifreeze to enter several cylinders.
Any closed valves may have allowed for gradual seepage into the cylinders.

Did it appear to be an equal amount from each cylinder..... or was there more in some/less in others/none in some?

Then you'd have to ask: if these were properly filled with the correct antifreeze mixture, what's the likelihood of freeze expansion damage?
I'd say little to none!

As Jeff says, try to get them up and running. Then your tests will reveal some real information.

Last edited:
only 2,4,6,8 cylinders on port and 6 on starboard, engine are closed cooled. engines are frozen and wont turn with a bar on the harmonic balancer bolt. i am going to tear down the engines in the boat to see what i find. locally now adays it seems to cost more to have engines/heads manga flexed and rebuilt then to repower with longblocks. i have a pair of 454s that have vdrives on them and might consider a repower.. the engines are in the aft room and have vdrives to walters vee drives.. they look like they will come out the aft bulkhead windows if the windows are removed.

Back