Logo

Advice Request for ZX300 VMax Engine of 2004 vintage

WhalerAce

Hi, I am looking for some opinions. I am looking at a ZX300TXRC VMax engine on e-bay. It is a supposedly mostly fresh-water engine with about 230 hours, of which 50% are less than 2000 rpms. My plan is to put this engine on a 2001 Boston Whaler 210 Ventura. (The boat is about 3500 lbs dry with a 100-gallon fuel tank.) I am not after high speed, just a lot of torque and reliability. So my main question is this -- do these engines have a reputation for reliability? I have had numerous Yamaha outboards before, but they were all carbureted. In fact, I just sold my last Whaler with twin 200HP 1989 Yamahas that run so sweet I almost hated to let the boat go. So this is my first foray into the HPDI world. Bottom line -- if used sensibly and taken care of, can I expect a fairly long and trouble-free life with this engine? Thanks in advance. ---WhalerAce

Reliability = less than average.

Long life = it will be a gamble

Problem = usually detonation will take out a cylinder. More than likely number 2. Very expensive repair.

I've only owned one Yamaha outboard, which is my 1999 SX150TXRX OX 66 saltwater series. The engine runs flawless and the only thing I've had to do outside of routine maintenance, was to take the cooling covers off the heads and scrape the scale buildup off. Was having overheat issue above 35mph and that resolved the problem. The engine was previously used in saltwater exclusively and was taken great care of. However, scale buildup does occur and flushing doesn't always remove everything.

If I ever have to change engines, I will stick with Yamaha or Suzuki. Suzuki's are one tough engine according to all of my instructors (while attending marine tech school in 2009)!

My fav engine is a broke one of course...that's how I make a living. But all engines will perform well if properly taken care of with routine maintenance. The exception of course is getting a lemon which occurs on boat engines, cars and everything else with a motor.
Buying any used motor is a gamble unless your able to see, run and test the engine yourself or with a mechanic.
I did take a gamble when I bought my Yamaha used from Florida. But it came complete with controls and everything and I lucked out and bought a great Yamaha engine. I bought my Trophy boat off ebay when I lived in Florida, but I was able to inspect the boat before I purchased it since the seller was about an hour from me.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.
FYI, does the boat you're wanting to put this on support this large HP engine? There is a reason the USCG sticker gives a max HP.

Last edited:
Unless you're a mechanic with compression gauges and tools who knows what to test and what to look for in a used Ebay engine, I'd be skittish about buying it. Hours & use? Who knows regardless of what is reported/claimed. Especially a 300 VMax. If used in fresh water as reported, it was most likely used on a bass boat and I don't know anyone with a bass boat who spends 50% of their time running below 2000 RPM! They rocket to where they want to get and let the trolling motor do the work from there. If they aren't fishing they are trying to set speed records all the time on the lake in the early morning with such an engine. The claims made about hours given the age of the engine and the time spent at low RPM sounds "fishy" to me. I'd stear clear of it.

Back