Logo

Adjusting the Carb Float Level in a 50hp 83 Merc Mariner

ehlien

Regular Contributor
Does anyone have the procedure for adjusting the float level needle valve tang in a Walbro carb for an 83 50 hp merc?

float2.jpg

Thanks ..... sorry..what I should have asked is does anyone have the correct float setting for this carb?? I'm thinking
1/8 inch

Looking at the floats, you'll a seam that's made as the part was cast. That seam (that runs around the float) needs to be parallel to the body of the carb withy it upside down.

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff......some info I have really been searching for...pretty hard to find any real info for these carbs on line!!!!

So i noticed on the top flat that , while it was not leaking YET ..it appeared to be coming apart at the seam so I bought a new OEM one.. Apparently the one in the carb was a Sierra aftermarket.... the construction and tangs of the Sierra seem to be way more robust than the more expensive Quicksilver OEM replacement on which the tangs are not molded into the float and are kind of flimsy. Anyway it came with directions on how to adjust the float level by bending the tang. (I was a little afraid of snapping it off the float but it worked. Attached is the drawing of the adjustment spec for the float. Hope it helps someone else.View attachment 5538 In case its too small to see, the setting is .28 to .32 from the top of the bowl rim to the top of the float for a WMA/WMB Carb. I set mine @ .30 ..hopefully that's what I have as it was stamped WMA . (For BA/BB carbs the setting is .320 to .360)

Hi im new here but have the same carbs on my mariner 50hp 2 stroke 4 cylinder
the one carb is being rebuilt by a friend so i was wondering if you could help me out by posting the carb setup for jets needle valves and float please also ive changed the diaphragm kit on the walbro fuel pump dose the brown one go on first next to fuel pump and the black one go next to the carb .

thanks for any help you might give steve.

Back