Logo

adjusting shift cable on a 1986 alpha drive

lime4x4

Contributing Member
I adjusted the shift cable as per the post below. What adjustment do i need to make if it won't fully lock in forward if the shift handle is at 10 o'clock? This is on a 350 mercruiser with an alpha 1 outdrive

"Alpha 1 shift cable adjustment procedure

Raise outdrive a count of 2-3 seconds from all the way down.
Remove short cable from shift bracket at engine.
Push plastic cable end of short cable all the way IN, have someone turn by hand the prop c’clockwise until full forward engagement.
Measure distance between the center of the brass trunion to the center of the plastic cable end hole that the mounting stud went thru. This measurement must be 6 inches exactly!!

Now shift the control handle to full forward full throttle position.
Try to install short cable onto shift bracket. If it will not fit perfectly adjust the control shift cable trunion “only” until it does. Once there install short cable back onto shift bracket. Now turn control cable trunion 3-4 turns AWAY from the plastic cable end and install into shift bracket.

Shift control handle to neutral. Prop should spin freely with no clicking sounds.

Now shift back into forward but only to the “detent” aprox, 10:00 oclock . This is when forward gear should be fully engaged. Make sure someone is spinning the prop by hand c’clockwise when doing this.
If you have good forward engagement with no slipping the pull handle back to neutral.

Now shift handle to aprox, 2:00 oclock, have the person spin the prop clockwise. This should give you reverse engagement. If it does then you are done! If it does not and you have a clicking sound/ not full engagement then adjust the short shift cable end where it is mounted, there is a slot, loosen the hex nut under the cable end and move cable towards the end of the arm, say ¼ inch and retry. When full reverse is obtained you are done.

you mean a old cable? You are trying to adjust a old cable ?

Old cables stretch, and when first adjusted right they rarely need adjustment.

Your control cable may be stretched and or the short cable.

Not getting forward is not the normal end result it is typically no reverse so re check your adjustments......carefully!!

Also this adjustment assumes the linkage at the gimbal housing and the bronze shift arm )outdrive) are in very good condition and not any excess slop.......And the shift spool on the lower unit is not worn either.......The bronze shift arm must only point to 12:00 and have full forward engagement and ~ 9:00 for full reverse. This is checked with the outdrive off. The linkage in the gimbal housing the U shaped piece where the bronze shift arm engages mut have no more that 1/16" slop. if more than that you are over shifting (too much cable movement) to engage either forward or reverse. Look closely at this.....Trying to remove or install the outdrive when not in forward gear will bend this linkage over time.........

Remove the controll cable from the shift bracket,

push shift handle to full forward full throttle position, take a black marker and make a mark on the cable where the black plastic end stops.

Shift into full reverse full throttle and make another mark

measure the gap between marks

2 7/8" to 3 1/8"

more than 3 1/8 need new control cable........

I forget the measurement but it was withing that range. I got it to shift properly. I ended up turning the control cable trunionin towards the cable end one turn at a time. ended up a total of 2 turns. I'm thinking the slop is probably in the shifter assembly. The shifter is 25 years old.

Back