Logo

Adding length to my 5hp Mariner shaft

rudy

" I have a inflatable and 5hp

" I have a inflatable and 5hp Mariner I use for a dingy. What I want to do is add shaft length to make it a 20" or 25". I would use it for "only a backup" for my 7.5hp Evindude that has a 25" shaft. Is this a dumb idea and if not what parts would I need and where can they be purchased? Most parts houses in Arizona are in Phoenix, so shipping is not a problem. Thanks Rudy "

"Rudy,

This is a tough and

"Rudy,

This is a tough and expensive job on a 5hp Mariner. You would have to replace the driveshaft housing (mid-section) for starters. You would also need a longer driveshaft, water tube, and shift rod. I would guess that those parts would run $200-$300, but it might be even more than that.

This job is easier on other engines, because they use a spacer to get the extra lenght on the driveshaft housing. This is much less expensive and far easier to do.

"

" Rudy,

I'm not pr

" Rudy,

I'm not precisely sure I undersand what you are trying to do, but if you are saying you have another boat that is powered by the 7.5, with a 25 inch shaft, and you'd like to use the 5 HP as a kicker: It may be possible to use it anyway; for instance, my boat has a little over 20 inch transom. I have a 20 inch shaft main engine. The kicker is a 20 inch shaft as well, but it's mounted off center, where the transom is only 14 inches or so. I used an engine mount to acutally mount the kicker well above the transom to account for this. For something to be used only as a kicker, you may be able to make it work; just be sure that whatever you do the engine is far enough in the water so that it doesn't over-rev and you get water pumping through it etc..

Jon "

Back