Logo

adding an outboard bracket 1979 292

Hi fellas,
I have a 1979 Tiara 2000 overniter with a chevy 292 straight six engine and a Mercruiser 165 R drive stern drive. I recently became interested in gettin a dual engine hull to work on over the winter, as I wanted to start offshore fishing and I do not trust a single engine setup to get me 5 miles out and back with no problems, especially since I have had an outdrive break the upper gears once, and the upper to lower drive shaft another time. However, twin inboard engine mercruiser setups don't seem to be all that plentiful, and I really like the Tiara, even though she is still a long way off from being showroom ready (restoration costs money, which I don't have unlimited supplies of). I thought that it might be worthwhile to put an outboard auxillary bracket on my boat and mount a small outboard as a backup. However, most of the brackets I have seen are only rated for 20HP. Is 20HP sufficient enough to push a 4500 pound boat back to port? Or would it require something a lot larger? I realize it won't be fast, but even if I could get back at near trolling speed it would be good enough for emergencies. Anybody got any thoughs, or a better idea?

Re: adding an outboard bracket

having been in the situation you want to avoid, the kicker is a good idea.

making even 3 knots is better than being dead in the water whether 5 or 50 miles off the beach.

BTW, it will be much more economical than a 26' twin screw, too.

A 20hp will push your boat to hull speed (about 5mph). I have a 15hp honda 4 stroke kicker on a bracket on my 5000# 23' w/a.

Thanks fellas, that pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I found a Garelick flip up bracket for about 170.00. I'll have to do some research to find a good 20hp motor without putting up the farm. Any special considerations for mounting the bracket?

Back