Logo

Add electric start to FD18E

jscobey

"I have a 1964 18hp FD-18E wit

"I have a 1964 18hp FD-18E with ring gear on fly wheel. will this motor support elec starter?
if so where would a good place to start looking for the necessary parts. what years would fit ?
a lot of questions, thanks in adance if any knows the answers
john"

"a kit,is prob/maybe still ava

"a kit,is prob/maybe still avail...but it will be more than the eng is worth...500-600.
i have done this,..seperatley,..u would need the starter brkt,starter,solenoid,etc...but,way cheaper,than the kit...the starter,and bracket is where the dlrs are.......HOWEVER,..it beats the hell,outa pull starting,....make sure...your eng is worth investing more money in..
u can buy an 80's model,nowdays,WITH,elect start,new ign sys,etc...for prob 800."

That motor was " common &#

That motor was " common " for many years. So look for an electric donor motor anywhere from a 58 to a 77 ( 18/20/25 hp ) and you will have the parts you need.Just takes a bit of looking and above all patience.

"wow 58-77 thats good to know.

"wow 58-77 thats good to know. i have a '64 evin 18hp also and the wife can only start my '72 9.8 merc.

not really helpfull to john but i dont know how to send this to my email so im replying so i can keep the info on hand in my e-mail thta sends automatically.

now maybe i can find a starter too

thanks for the info ikia, i thought a starter would be impossible to find!"

"that's great info,,, this

"that's great info,,, this site is the best. thanks to everyone !!!!!! if anyone in the western new york area, or reasonably close by, has a donor please let me know..we have a 1959 13' MFG that we use on Oak Orchard Creek and the edges of Lake Ontario.The wife doesn't have the arm strength and we want to keep the motor in that vintage more or less. Again THANKS to all for the great responses"

I've seen the brackets and

I've seen the brackets and starters for many of the older motors on EBAY. Look up the orginial part numbers so you can get the correct ones. Don't hesitate to ask the EBAYERs what numbers are on the parts.
Bill

Back