Logo

Accel problems on 1994 Johnson 50 HP 2 stroke

djcvet

I have a 1994 Johnson 50 HP 2 stroke that has a couple of problems. One problem is that between 2000 and 3500 rpm the engine runs rough. As you bring the throttle up from idle it is smooth until around 2000 rpm then you can hear and feel the engine start to miss and start to run rough until you get to around 3500 rpm. It then smoothes out and runs fine up to WOT. The other problem is that every once and awhile when I push the throttle up to WOT it hangs at about 2500 rpm. You will be going along at 2500 rpm and then all of a sudden acceleration takes off all the way up to 5400 rpm. It might only do this once in 10 trips. Any ideas?

sounds like a fuel problem, check your fuel filters and fuel pump. if not fixed, then clean the carbs.

Last edited:
The carbs were gone through last year. You mentioned fuel filters. I do not see any externally. Is there one inside of the engine compartment somewhere? How do you check the fuel pump for correct operation?

sure sounds like you are having problems in the mid range on the carbs. pump the fuel bulb by hand when trying to accel through midrange.

Back